New to a barbell

kjoyrussell

Hi Cathe and everyone,
I have been working out with Cathe videos for about 2 years now. I have always just had dumbbells but recently purchased a barbell. When you say that you have your barbell loaded at 35 pounds, does that include the weight of the bar, or is that just the amount of weight that is on the ends of the bar? Are there any other tips that I should know as I start my barbell adventure? Thanks for answering!
Kim

Hi Kim. I believe when Cathe mentions barbell weight that includes the weight of the actual barbell itself plus the weight plates on the ends. You should probably figure out how much your barbell weighs without plates, and go from there. For example, I have a barbell that weighs 10 pounds by itself, so if I want to get up to 25 pounds, I add an additional 15 pounds worth of plate weights. (I have plates in smaller increments, so to get it to 25 pounds, I'd add two five-pound plates and two 2.5 pound plates).

If I'm wrong on this, I'm sure Cathe or others will correct me! Have fun with your new barbell.:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.