In need of a video

Go4Gordon

Cathe,
I lost 45lbs. about 2 years ago and have started gaining some of it back. I am cutting back the calories and fat grams and increased my water intake. I would like an aerobic type video that last 30 minutes not 45 for beginners. I have bought several and a lot of the time the camera shows more smiles on faces than the foot work. I can not stand Denise Austin's voice!!!! Can you please recommend one and if you can tell me of a strength training beginners one also I would deeply appreciate it.

Thank you!!!!

I would recommend any of the three FIRM Basics tapes. They are all feet-friendly (I’ve got two left feet!!). They are all over 30 minutes long, but you can make the intensity as low or as high as you like. When I started using them I didn’t use weights at first, and gradually built up. I also didn’t do the whole thing when I felt very weak or uncoordinated. They have "cardio", "strength" and "lower body" basics tapes.

The other thing you might consider is taping exercise shows off of the tv or cable. I have two tapes of Denise Austin’s (I know you said you dislike Denise Austin) two shows that are on each morning. The are only a half an hour long and I find that her “live” on a beach is much more “bearable” than her store-bought tapes. They’re also good when I want a “lighter” workout now. She’s pretty thorough as far as covering all parts of the body and mixxing up the work-outs. There are other exercise shows on though. I think you can find Cathe on tv in some parts of the country for a half an hour (not near me unfortunately), and I know that some of my local cable stations carry the Body Electric (and maybe Gilad is still on somewhere).

You could also check collage video to see if they have any 30 minute tapes.

good luck!!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jul-10-01 AT 04:11PM (Est)[/font][p]There's a world of information to be had at the videofitness.com website. There's a "video selector" that can help you pick out a good tape, there are many video reviews.

There's also a wonderful message board with a very "knowledgeable crowd".

The Collagevideo.com phone reps can be helpful, and they also sort tapes by choreographic complexity and give segment lengths.

I'm not a Firm cardio fan myself, and certainly no Denise Austin Fan. Of the mass marketed tapes, I'd go for Kathy Smith I guess. Why not Donna Richardson's Donnamite - such a fun tape. Also, Cathe's CTX tapes are only 30 minutes or so of cardio.

good luck!

RE: Try "BodyMax"

Hi, Go4Gordon!

You may want to try Cathe Friedrich's "BodyMax" - although the entire tape is 90 minutes long, it includes a step aerobics segment, a step + leg-strength circuit segment, and then a total upper body + ab strengthening segment. You could do the step segment on certain days, and the leg-strength and upper body strengthening segments on alternating days. That way you wouldn't have to buy more than one tape to start out with.

Don't kid yourself - Cathe Friedrich tapes are the peanuts, potato chips and popcorn of the video fitness arena - once you've got one, it only whets your appetite for more! Plus, here on the CF Forum we are all too good at spending your money for you!

Thank heavens for Cathe Friedrich! Thank heavens for Mastercard!

Good luck!

Annette

Hi, Go4Gordon...
I agree that Cathe has the absolute best workouts to offer. If you are looking for beginner's strength tapes, my advice would be Kathy Smith's Secrets of a Great Body Lower & Upper. (Two tapes.) I got some nice results using them when I started out, & she explains form very well. After that, when you are feeling stronger, I recommend Cathe!
Good luck with whatever you try,
Ruth :)

I think Body Max is a wonderful tape. That said, I would definitely not recommend it to you. You are searching for more of a beginner's tape that lasts 30 minutes. This does not fit the bill.
Beginners tapes that I would recommend include Kari Anderson/Linda Evans "A New You" (basic floor aerobics in three 10 minute sections in a beautiful outdoor setting), Kathy Smith's "Step Workout" (this is about 45-50 minutes cardio with warm up and cool down, but is easily shortened by eliminating a section-- the cardio is broken up into three sections), Kathy Smith's "Fat Burning Workout" (dated, but a solid workout), and Gilad's "New Beginner's Workout".
As for strength training, it is my opinion that this is much easier to modify than advanced cardio. Really, all you need to do is lighten (or in some instances for lower body) eliminate weights. For this reason I would not hesitate to recommend MIS.
Still, the recommendation for Kathy Smith's "Secrets" series was a good one.
Hope this helps.

The Wedding Tape

Cathe's "Get in Shape For Your Wedding" video is a great value. Like BodyMax, it's cardio & toning, but aimed at a beginner (or someone getting back on track). If not for the shots of Cathe's wedding, it could be named "Get in Shape for Whatever You Want". The cardio section does use a step. It's fun to see the younger Cathe too. She's packed on some muscle since then!!!

There's a big leap between the Wedding tape & Cathe's other workouts. I agree that some non-Cathe transition tapes are in order. The newer Kathy Smith tapes are good to grow with. I just loaned the 2 "Secrets" videos to a friend getting in shape after pregnancy. Also Karen Voight has some easier workouts. Her circuit training video with Elle, Personal Best, is a favorite. TamiLee Webb of Buns of Steel fame, has a new series, "I want those ..." which gets good reviews. Voight, Webb & Smith tend to go easy on the equipment requirements too. Personality wise, none compare to Cathe, but Voight & Webb are good.

Hi Go4Gordon! Congratulations on your weight loss and for taking the healthy and appropriate steps to avoid gaining it all back. Good for you! You have received quite a variety of helpful video ideas here(thanks everyone). I, too, was going to recommend How To Get In Shape For Your Wedding. It introduces both a step workout and a light weight strength training workout at a pace you can grow with. Just ignore all of the wedding lingo if it does not apply. Good Luck and keep your wonderful determination going!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.