Need help - sprained knee

Stebby

Cathlete
I had an ACL reconstruction in June 1999. I was having some problems this past spring, posted to this board, and got some great suggestions from Cathe and others. You guys really helped me then. I took a lot of your advice -- in fact, I took up serious cycling over the summer, was consistent but gentle with my weight training, iced my knee whenever it bothered me and was very careful with my form, and by the end of the summer my knee felt almost perfect. Now I need help again!!

I overstretched my operated knee on Sunday (kneeled when I shouldn't have and accidentally ended up almost sitting on my heels, which my knee just won't do). Then on Monday, with my knee feeling a bit tendinitis-y, I went to a Spinning class against my better judgement. I am pretty sure I sprained it. It is quite tender and a bit swollen. I've had a lot of difficulty walking for the past few days, but as of today (Friday), I am starting to lose my limp. It will probably be a week or two before I can start getting back to my regular activity (gradually, of course).

So I think it will be awhile before I can get back to my Spinning classes and Cathe cardio tapes. I've been doing PS Chest/Shoulders/Triceps and Back/Biceps/Abs, but I need something for my lower body. I can't stand comfortably, and lunges & tall box leg presses are out. I can't walk very far, so walking for exercise is out. Chlorine bothers my skin, so swimming in a pool is out. I have The Firm's Sculpted Buns, Hips & Thighs, which has some lying floor work, but it's mostly abs. Any suggestions for what I can do for lower body muscle work and cardio?

You won't like this....

Rest your knee!!! It will heal much faster. Work on upper body strength, flexibility that doesn't engage your legs & your body will thank you for the recovery time.
Debra (living w/ a torn ACL)

RE: You won't like this....

DITTO!!!! My words exactly. If you are unable to do the basics, such as stand or walk without discomfort, then you definitely should not attempt to exercise. It still sounds quite injured and the best treatment for it is rest, ice, and anti-inflammatory medicine.

I, too, reinjured my ACL a year after therapy, yet continued to exercise on it. That injury exasperated into a two month set back. Please take our advice and rest it. Sorry to lecture;-)!

RE: You won't like this....

OK, OK, you guys are right. It's not what I wanted to hear, but I know that's what I have to do, I was just hoping ...

I will concentrate for the next few weeks on getting a really buff upper bod and working on the ol' six-pack (I know it's there!). I don't want to risk a setback, that's for sure. I think I have turned into an exercise addict, because the thought of not doing cardio or leg work makes me anxious. (I must try to get over that!)

Thanks for your advice, and the reminder that I can make it worse if I do something stupid! It means a lot coming from people who are living with torn or repaired ACLs -- I know that we have to respect our knees and understand that we have limitations.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.