need help please

yopp98

A friend of mine is taking over a kids gymnastics place. At the request of some of her friends she has been asked to put together a nightly step class for a bunch of woman in weight watchers who just want a real basic beginner class (no fancy foot work.) These woman feel uncomfortable going to a gym. They are intimadated by the men and or super fit girls. She knows I love Cathe and love to step and asked if I would be able to run the class for these woman.
I would love to do this but I am not a licensed instructer, and I have never taught a class before. I have no problem coming up with choreography but anyone know where I can get tips on teaching/cueing or where I can learn. Do all step instructers do what Cathe does as far as saying (right foot on while using her left.) That to me seems like it would be really confusing ... Shes giving me til January to learn Is that even enough time???.I am honored that she is giving me this opportunity but I just dont want to let her down by not teaching the class right and confusing people. Any input would be much appreciated....Thanks

That's great! How fun! Being that she wants you to teach just basic beginner classes is a good to start. You will of course, have some great ideas from Cathe's workouts plus you can go to www.turnstep.com for some more basic patterns. Also, I would recommend rather then facing the class, that you face the same direction as them as it will make it easier for you AND them. So, you would have your back to the class and be on the same foot as them. Good Luck and let us know how it goes. Also, yes, I think having til January will give you plenty of time to prepare. GO FOR IT!!!!

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid8692709
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Thank you so much for your positive feedback. That is a great idea to face the same way as the class. I appreciate the reply!!!:)

Regarding facing the same direction as the class ... I have had experience in teaching step class as well as cardio kickboxing. I do have to agree that facing the same way as the class is the best approach ... that is as long as you have a mirrored wall infront of you so that you are able to see the class in the background so that you can cue them appropriately and make suggestions/modifications as needed. Good luck :)

Jenn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.