Need a beginner Running Program

R_Lam

Cathlete
Hi,
I want to start running and wondered if anyone could share a good program to help me ease into it. I need to lose weight for summer, was doing really well until I started to rebel against chicken breast and tuna and hit Mc D's for 2 weeks. Being an apple it went straight to my keg! So now I look like I'm in my firts trimester! I hear running gets the fat off fast?

RE: Need a beginner Running Program....VERY long

Hi R Lam. I have been running for about 2 years now. I will agree with you that it is a great fat blaster. When I started running, I saw results almost weekly....not saying that you will see the same results.

I had been an advid walker for years, but I noticed that walking wasn't cutting it for me anymore. The weight wasn't coming off after my third baby and I started my 4th pregnancy about 8# heavier than I wanted to be. My cousin had been running and looked great, so i said that after this baby, I was going to start running.

The first thing and the most important is to get a good paid of running shoes. I go to Finish Line at our mall and get a pair that are on clearance. They are usually about 35-50 bucks and I buy the athletic inserts. I love the people that work at my Finish Line. They all have said that if you buy them on clearance and put those inserts in them, they are like a $120 pair of shoes. The inserts will extend the life of your running shoes as well. The insoles that come with the shoes only last about 15 days. Get a good pair of running shoes.....it is more than worth it.

The next thing is to not push yourself too hard too fast. I have done this more than once and have really worn myself out.

How I started running was this.....

Where I live, there are alot of "land marks". I would walk two land marks and then walk one, then walk two and run one. And I would always walk the hills. As that became easier, I would walk one, then run one, then walk one, then run one. As that became easier, I would run two then walk one and so on.

I eventually got to the point where I was running three different sections with walks inbetween. So I started combining them. I added the hills gradually. I live on top of a mountain and there alot of hills. I would do the same land marking for the hills. I would run to one land mark and walk the rest of the hill. When that got easy, I would extend it until I was running the whole hill.

I was running for about 6 months when I entered my first 5K. I did what I wanted.....30min. 38 sec. About a 10 minute mile. I didn't think that was too bad and it was such a rush.

I have been an advid reader of Runner's World. I really like the magazine, but I think there guidelines for beginner runners are too harsh and fast. I would extend their guidelines out by 3.

Some people may think that my method is to tedious and time consuming. It worked for me, not saying it will work for you. I have just found that if you push yourself too hard with running, you are going to get fatigued and get frustrated and not enjoy it and more than likely stop. The best way to get yourself running is to register for a race. Start with a 5K maybe in the fall. That will give you the motivation to keep running.

Good luck. I think you are going to love the results. I am in the best physical shape of my life. Running is something that you can always improve on as well. Faster times, longer distances, more hills, you name it.

I am sorry this is so long winded. It is great to talk to someone who is my shoes about 2 years back. I have friends who ask how to start a running program and when I tell them, they never do it or don't take it seriously. Anyone who posts on Cathe is a serious exerciser, I know you can do this.

Oh, one more peace of advice. I wouldn't run two days in a row. I only run 3 days a week and cross train with Cathe. Running is very hard on your legs. Running on the road is much harder on them than treadmill running. If you are going to be doing your primary running on a treadmill, get on the road on occassion in case you do ever run a race. It is also great cross trainning. Good luck. Remember....slow and steady always wins the race.

Kim

Kim,

Which running shoes do you purchase? I have Nike pair but really need a pair with motion control so I've basically been trying my luck with crosstrainers and to put it nicely I have purchased a few pair of shoes to take them home to wear around the house for a while and have had to return all pairs. I am at the point where I'm wondering if maybe I should just give up running. I blew $80 on a pair of shoes that a guy at a running store near my home 'talked' me into buying and when I started having problems he wouldn't accept the return. So I'm out the $80 dollars and very leery about buying any shoes at all!

We do have a Finish Line nearby and if my oldest daughter hasn't been there recently, she should still have a $5 off coupon inside the sales catalog that I can use. :)

I just finished reading a thread regarding Ryka's. What do you think of those?

Angie

Kim's advice is great. I just want to share my fave "getting into running" program.

Each workout is done 3x/week. Warm up for 5-10 min. first. And of course always cooldown and stretch.

Week 1: Run 2 min. Walk 4 min. Do 5x (30 min.)
Week 2: Run 3 min. Walk 3 min. Do 5x (30 min.)
Week 3: Run 4 min. Walk 2 min. Do 5x (30 min.)
Week 4: Run 5 min. Walk 1 min. Do 5x (30 min.)
Week 5: Run 5.5 min. Walk 30 seconds Do 5x (30 min.)
Week 6: Run 30 min.

When a 30 min. run becomes comfortable you can start adding in speed work and hills.

Have fun! And definitely sign up for a race. They are a blast!

Andrea

Hi,
Thank you for the suggestions...I'm printing these out. This girl from work made sure I hit the threadmill with her this morning and we did a run and walk for 25 minutes and it felt really good! I went home and did Pyramid UB and felt very accomplished. It's a refreshing change.:p

Hi Angie. My first pair of running shoes I purchased were Nikes. They made my big toe black and blue. When I went back to get a new pair, the guy at Finish Line said that Nike runs a tad on the small side, so if you are a perfect 8 1/2...as I am....they will do this to your toes. He also said that he didn't think that Nike makes a good running shoe. He recommends them for court, but not running....just his opinion. I am currently on my second paid of Sauconys. I have had really great luck with them. I don't have a problem with motion control though, not that I know of anyways. Two different sales people told me the best women's running shoe is Brook's. They are pricey though. I have yet to see them on clearance either. I really like Saucony's, but that is just my opinion. My husband likes Asics. That is all he will buy. It is so frustrating that you cannot try a pair out on an actual run before you decide to keep them. They say "take a run in the store". Yah, right. This gives me a good idea of what they will feel like.....NOT!!!!! I have read in my Runner's World about some sporting good stores that will have you run on a treadmill and from that observation, can tell you what kind of running shoes is right for you. It sounds like these stores are privately owned...not chain....and only in the bigger cities. I'm not sure where you live, but it may be worth a try to find one. One of my favorite web sites...besides this one.... is runnersworld.com. There maybe some information on there that could help you also. Good Luck. Finding the right shoe makes ALL the difference.

Kim

Running on Treadmill

I went to the gym & tried running on the treadmill Saturday, for the first time! I ran 2 miles at about 4.5 miles an hour. I could have maybe gone faster but I was terrified of flying off the thing backwards!! Hee-Hee! I'm gonna have to get used to it. I really liked it but after about 30 minutes, WOW...my legs were already getting sore. I workout all the time to Cathe, and don't get sore anymore, but with this I did. I mostly felt it in those muscles right along side my hips and also my shin muscles? (Not sure what they're called). Isn't funny how running really hits those other muscles? I'm definitely putting it in my rotation schedule, and am going to try to get more used to the treadmill. Those things just scare me! Hee-Hee!!

Danielle :7

Danielle...

You want to hear something REALLY scary? This month in one of my fitness mags, there is reference to running SIDEWAYS on your treadmill to hit the thighs more. Oh my gosh, just the thought of it has me flying off the back into a wall!:p
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

RE: Danielle...

Debbie,

I am cracking UP!! I can totally picture that...flying into the wall!! No way would I ever try THAT!!!

:7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.