Need advice on strength training while preparing for 1/2 marathon

Janick

Cathlete
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-02 AT 10:00AM (Est)[/font][p]Hi Cathe and the educated crowd!

I have recently decided to train for a 1/2 marathon in April. I am not exactly a beginner runner, but have never run consistently, only occasionally. I have done my first long run this past weekend (5 miles) and apart from some mild muscle soreness in my quads, I feel pretty good.

I am in the process of tweaking my training schedule which will consist of 2 short runs during the week (on the treadmill mostly, as the weather is pretty cold up here right now) and 1 long run on weekends with a buddy who will be doing the 1/2 with me.

I know that this is certainly not the right time to think of strength gains, however, it's not a time to let go of strength training all together. So, what kind of strength training should I do to maximize my performance, without losing lean muscle mass in the process?? If this can be of any help I have on DVD: PS, PH, CTX (non strength related: RS, Classics vol 1).

Also, since I have a HRM and train with it, where should I try to maintain my HR (70, 85% or other) so as to not burn myself out??

Thanx in advance

PS I cannot wait for the new workouts!!!

Janick http://www.clicksmilies.com/sammlung/sport/sport003.gif

Janick!

I hope you don't mind me popping in here but reading your posts was like.... well reading my own! I am in this exact situation! :) My long runs are 6 miles now but are becoming alittle difficult with the cold weather BUT I'm still trying. I want so badly to breeze through those 6!

I'm training for a 1/2 in April too! Here in St. Louis. You're lucky, you have a buddy to run with for your long runs - I have to do mine alone. I train with a group doing speedwork on Tuesdays but I'm getting a little bored with running on the track doing 4-5 800's. I think I was expecting more out of this group because most of them have done several marathons. None of them live in my town, they all drive 30 minutes or more to get together, so there goes my thoughts for grabbing one of them for more training/partnering.

I hope others with more running experience see your post and offer plenty of advice!

Good luck in your training!
Angie

Hello Angie,

I too belong to a club and I find that track work is excellent for helping me with the long runs (I have definitely improved since I work with them because they really force me to run at my maximum). I have not run with others on long runs because they are much better runners than I am, but as I am improving they have asked me to join them for other runs like cross country, and 10 milers. Also, on the weekends they run in another place that is far from where I live - I cannot join them as I have no private transport. It's unfortunate that no one there would run with you. Have you asked them when and where they run on other days? Maybe you could drive down to them instead.

If you don't get a welcoming response then maybe advertise for a buddy, or just do it on your own with a stereo. I think having one of those makes it less lonesome. I tend to run on my own a lot too.

Hope this helps.

Yen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.