Neck Pain Please Help!

grapejuice

Hi Eveyone,

Just a quick question..........I currently do the leaner legs video with a 25 pound barbell(its getting easier).The only problem is that while using the barbell my neck becomes somewhat sore and tense. Can anyone give me some good advice on what to do? Thanks in advance for caring and sharing

Hi GJ!

Do you have a collar or pad on your barbell? This will definitely make it more comfortable. Sometimes, I feel if I roll it away from my neck just a hair, that helps also. Try not to have it hugging your neck real tight and see if that helps. Good Luck!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH :)
"If You Get The Chance To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!"

Support the barbell on your traps

First of all, congratulations on doing Leaner Legs with that much weight, it's a TOUGH workout!

I had the same problem squatting with a barbell, neck pain and soreness, then someone at videofitness.com (Karen P?) explained how important it is to place the barbell lower on your trapezoid muscles.

So basically you slide it down so it's resting on the fatty muscle just below your neck. And also you have to be careful not to lean forward on your squats too much - that can roll the barbell up or put more pressure on your vertebrae. Cathe has pretty good form, I watch her when I'm doing them.

I actually injured my neck before learning this and spent a couple of weeks doing t-squats instead - holding a heavy dumbell by it's end with both hands, dangled down between my legs while squatting. This took all the pressure off my neck and let me focus on my quads and gluts.

Now I'm back to regular back squats and it feels good!

Good luck,
Dawn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.