My knees have been popping! :(

Hi Cathe :) Lately when I do lunges, my front knee feels kind of sore during, and afterwards it will pop. It did this today after the lunges section on PS SLA. Does this mean that I have to stop doing lunges?? My knees are fine on squats and also the step ups onto a 12 inch step. I would hate to have to stop doing them all together. I'm watching that my knee doesn't go over my toe, and pushing through my heel. Are there any other important things to remember with my form on lunges? Thanks!
Purplesky1120

I'm not the Divine Ms. C but until she sees your post I will ask you some questions:

Are you thoroughly warmed up before stretching? Do you stretch very well?

Maybe you should add some quadriceps and hamstrings stretches to your workout (in addition to the ones you already do).

Are you experiencing pain when your knees pop? I just went to a sports doc (about a painful elbow) and while I was there he looked at my knees, which are very noisy!

He said they can be noisy and that's no problem, just as long as they are not painful when they make noise.

You might want to consider some glucosamine/chondroitin supplements. I get mine cheap at Costco and take 3 tablets a day. They take about a month to kick in, but the stuff really helps lubricate those joints.

Hey, thanks for replying :)

Yes I usually stretch a great deal before working my legs, but maybe it wouldn't hurt to warm up and stretch even more, just to see if that makes a difference.

There is no pain when my knees pop, but after and before its very uncomfortable. Once they pop, they feel a bit better, but only for a few seconds.

Maybe I will look into those supplements, sounds like that's definatly worth a shot too. Thanks again for the suggestions!!

Purplesky1120:)

Hi Purplesky,

By "popping", do you mean crunching noises inside the knee or a definite singular "pop"?

I have a problem knee combined with lots of crackling noises. I find that if you lunge onto a platform, it doesn't bother my knees. They still crunch, but don't hurt.

Hope that helps!

Not really crunching noises, just like one definate pop. But it's kind of a crunchy pop. If that makes any sense :-/
I'll definatly try using a platform too, thanks for that suggestion:)
purplesky1120

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.