Muscle soreness-- Do you keep going?

Hi
Just a short question..I did Power Hour for the first time the other day..For the next three days my muscles in my arms and legs were really sore..I know they say to skip a day or two between weight workouts, so I was wondering...Could I have done another weight video on the third day, even though I was still sore, or is it always important to wait until the pain totally goes away?
Vanessa

Good question...my inquiring triceps would like to know the answer to this as well. Oooch-ouch

DM

This may not be what Cathe would recommend, but it has always been my experience that if at least 48 hours have elapsed since the weight workout that made you sore, to go ahead and lift again. It will increase the circulation to that area and rid it of the buildup of lactic acid, thereby decreasing the soreness and "loosening up" the area so you don't feel so tight and uncomfortable. Also, use some ibuprofen and a muscle rub from the drugstore, there are several brands. Good luck!!

I also have a similar question... After a leg workout, can I do aerobics (I usually do stepping) when my leg muscles still sore? As I understand it, most aerobic workout involves the leg muscle, it being the largest muscle. Or should I let it rest for 48 hrs? Thanks.

Haslina

I did PS Legs yesterday and am I sore! I did run today because the soreness is mostly apparent on the stairs and I felt fine after I warmed up. I was going to do Power Circuit tomorrow but I won't if I am still sore. I obviously did some real damage to those quads and I am certain I would not be doing myself any good by training again too soon. If I am mildly sore though I will work out but I can't see that being the case since my quads are really cooked! Ouch!

Hi Vanessa! The first time you do a new worout it is not uncommon to be sore for a third day too. I suggest that on the third day, if you are still really sore, do a very light workout on that day along with a warm bath in epsom salt and maybe even a couple of advil to help break up the lactic acid. Good Luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.