Modify or pause tape?

nancyg

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-09-03 AT 01:38PM (Est)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-09-03 AT 01:32 PM (Est)[/font]

If you are having a low energy day, is it better to modify the workout and go straight through without stopping, or pause the tape for a minute and then go back to it? I was doing MIC yesterday and was about halfway thru the step portion and knew I would not make it all the way through without either modifying or taking a break. I chose to take a 1 minute break, and went back to it and went through to the blast at the end. I took another 1 minute break and finished. Would it have been better to just modify without stopping?

I had also posted a similar question a while ago. It was one of those days when I knew I was in trouble about 15 minutes into circuit max. I ended up pausing often, but made it through the tape. In this case, am I receiving any benefit from pushing myself throught the workout?

Nancy

I'd be interested in the answer to this question as well. I'm not yet what I would consider an "advanced level" exerciser, so the only way I can get through Interval Max is to take a longer catch up period between the intervals.

Thanks for asking the question Nancy~!

I think it depends on how tired you feel. It seems to me that stopping and taking a break give you more of a break than modifying and sticking with it. So, I would give myself only as much "break" as I needed. Try modifying first. If that still isn't enough, take a break, but keep moving.

I usually pause longer between sets or body parts on weight tapes, and modify on cardio tapes.

I usually modify when I am in that situation. The times when I have paused and taken a break, I end up not finishing at all.

Sometimes, I just march in place during tough segements and jump right back in when I can.

Hi Nancy! You can do either way and you'll be fine. We all have those days and we just do what we can. Anything is better than nothing (unless of course you are feeling this way due to illness, then a rest day is better).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.