Mixed messages re: lifting weights & weight loss

rosela

Dear Cathe,

I've been working out about 4-5 times per week (doing both your cardio/weight workouts as well as pure cardio) for the past two months and instead of losing weight, I think I'm just getting bulkier b/c my pants are tighter and the scale reads the same. (I should also mention that I took my measurements and I'm exactly the same....*especially* in my mid-section.) I've been eating well & clean (aside from the occasional pasta dish) so I'm really trying to understand what I should be doing in regards to losing weight.

Also, I've been reading a lot of posts on your site (as well as others) that say that using heavy weights adds bulk and doesn't necessarily lead to weight loss.

I really enjoy using weights, but I do not want to get bulkier. Can you shed some light on all of these different messages I've been receiving?

Thanks so much,
Rose

Hi Rose! Everybody is different so you really have to experiment with a bunch of ways to weight train (ie: heavy weight, medium weight, light weights, low reps, medium reps, high reps, total body, split workouts, cardio/weight mixed workouts, cardio and weights done separately, etc) to know what your body responds best to.

It is also important to say that all bodies hold a little extra water and gain a few pounds when initially doing new routines because it is a natural response to the adaptation phase. During the adaptation phase, microscopic muscle tears occur (which is normal and a good thing) and the body experiences some edema during the repair process. This eventually subsides as you get more conditioned.

Also, weight lifting builds LEAN muscle mass and lean muscle mass is heavier/more dense. So although the scale reflects a heavier weight, your measurements will be smaller.

While everything truly comes down to your genetic blue print, most people will respond to weight training with a leaner appearance as long as their diet it very clean and they are not in the height of an adaptation phase.

Drinking a lot of water, sleeping well, leading a low stress lifestyle, eating a very healthy and balanced diet, are also factors that keep your body responding well.

Also Rose, 8 weeks is really not that long for someone who is starting out. It really isn't. Don't get discouraged. Sometimes it takes a few months before it kicks in, but then when it does, it just keeps kicking. Hang in there :)

Hi Cathe!

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. I promise, I'll hang in there!

In terms of an effective rotation, I was thinking of doing two days of cardio workouts, two days of cardio/weight workouts and perhaps one day of a yoga type class. Do you think this will be effective or do I need additional cardio in order to lose weight?

Again, thank you so much for your response--I truly appreciate it!

Rose

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.