MIS/PH and hurtin' unit

I've been doing FIRM tapes for years, and then I discovered your workouts in the past few months (started with the Wedding tape!). I wanted to start collecting your strength workouts, since I had only step ones to date, so I and asked for the DVD with BM, MIS, and PH for Christmas. I did PH one day, and MIS a couple of days later (after previewing BM, I knew I was NOT ready for that one...). Let me give a little important info - I'm in my latter 40's and am overweight (about 30 lbs.), but in what I THOUGHT was reasonably good physical condition. HOWEVER, I waited two days to try another strength training because I was terribly sore and think I tweaked the groin muscle. Today, when I tried a much easier strength tape, I couldn't do it. I could barely lift my arms with lighter dumbbells than I usually use. My muscles were simply so fatigued they wouldn't function, even after 2-3 days!! I started feeling sick and sweating, even though I truly was not pushing myself at all. Could I possibly have fatigued my muscles to the point where they need extra time to recover? Should I have started with something easier on the body than MIS?? I'm wondering if I goofed getting that DVD, rather than something perhaps a little easier, and working UP to MIS and BM. Or is there something easier? I didn't even push it on the weights when I did MIS -- I used a barbell with no weights, and maximum of 10 lb. dumbbells. OMG - what a workout!! I look forward to when I can do this workout and be recovered enough to do it a couple of days later!!!!!! You are unbeatable in the fit vid world.

Hi - I'm not Cathe, but the way that you explained feeling sick and sweating is usually the reaction that my body has when I am coming down with a cold of some sort. It certainly is going around right now - just ask Cathe! Anyway, take it slow with those workouts - they are all tough!! Hopefully Cathe will chime in - I know that she is swamped!!!
Sara :)

Hi - I'm not Cathe either, but I kinda wanted to move this up (I am new here and I'm assuming the recent post will bump the post)

I am out of shape, haven't exercised in probably close to a year, and am just getting back into the swing of it.

I decided to try Cathe, because all the Firmies rave about her, so I have ordered Power Hour & MIS..along with a new barbell with some plates.

Then I come here, and I'm almost afraid to try them!!

I wonder if I should do something else for a while longer, or I suppose just what I can do of either Power Hour or MIS??

I hope I didn't order the wrong tapes, I was looking for strength and I do believe I found it :)
Maybe you could advise which one to try first?

PS - I think it's awesome Cathe answering questions too! I just got a new Step Co. step tonight too, gotta have all my equipment to start my Cathe. I'm very excited :-jumpy
thanks - Kathy

Hi Kathy - obviously not Cathe either, but I started PH as my first weight workout in a loooong time about a year ago. I just used 3lb-5lb weights and a 12lb body bar and was fine - sore, but fine. I would also kind of split up the workout too, until I got conditioned enough to do the whole thing. I've worked my way up to a lot heavier weights since then. Just take it easy you can do it.

Jill

I'm sure not Cathe either! But if I did PH and MIS in the same week? I'd probably have to go to the hospital. :) I bet you're worn! That's a rough pair in to handle in just a couple days of each other.

Hi coloradocarol! Many times the very first time that you do a new workout that pushes you a little harder than what you are familiar with, you will get the most sore initially. That initial soreness can last for days. I have known it to last in some (depending on their fitness level) for up to a week. Also, sometimes the soreness takes two days to settle in. So it sounds to me like you did two new workouts and your body was "overlapping" with DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). I would suggest that you take three days off and then come back to the workouts with lighter weights and work your way back up to your current weight over time. You most likely will not get this sore again.

However, there IS also a nasty bug going around (my family had it too), and the shakes and sweats are a couple of its symptoms so that is a possibility too.

Take Care!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.