Maximum Heart Rate - HR Training

chammer

Cathlete
I would love any insight on MHR and input from Cathe and other Cathletes :p scientifically and/or who have a similar experience :)

I've sporadically monitored HR over the years and mine is (across a wide range of fitness from pretty-darn-fit-if-I-do-say-so :p to ehh, just maintaining) consistently about 20 beats higher than my perceived exertion (and friends/etc I might be working out with... for reference).

I've done the equivalent of a MHR stress test on a recent run and, without pushing all the way to my threshold, was at 200bpm. The old age based formula would have me, at 38, at 182max.... and the 60-80% window would be a relative joke from a perceived exertion standpoint - my runs average 160-165bpm and are quite comfortably conversational, so, I'm just wondering...

Is this a common thing?
Is it indicative of anything (I have no known heart/health/hereditary conditions, etc. besides Hashimoto's/thyroid - blat)
Is using my rough 200bpm near MHR a functional tool and/or is HR training a valid method?
I would love to use it to hit that "sweet spot" training-wise - pushing myself to the next level - without overtraining - and while I'm accustomed to tuning in to how my body feels when I'm pushing my training (and dialing back if need be), I've read good things about HRT just wondering how they apply in this sort of scenario and any other considerations that might be helpful?

Thanks so much for reading and any thoughts or input!! :) Have a great day!:D

I have been using a heart rate monitor for my running and biking for over 15 years. My heart rate never fell into the age based formula. I was always 15 beats or so higher. In my 30's (I am 50 now) I regularly ran with my heart rate in the 170's and 180's. I did get it up to 197 at the end of a hard 5k or track workout.
Now, at 50, I can still get into the 170's but I have not seen 180 or above in at least 5 years. I do regular threshold tests on my spinning bike and my bike threshold HR is 160. When I run, my easy runs are from 140-150 bpm and harder tempo runs from 155-168 or so. It sounds like you have a higher than normal max heart rate, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. It's not uncommon and in fact there are some newer formulas for calculating max hr.
Since I am older now, I also get an annual cardiovascular screening and am going to get a stress test too. Just to be safe. Hope this helps :)

How accurate do you think your HRM is? Remember, those formulas are just "theoretical" maximal HR calculations. According to the "theory" my max HR would be 170 BPM (220-age), and my training HR should be 127-144 (75%-85% of Max HR) and "fat burning" zone would be 85-102 BPM (50%-60% of Max HR). See related blog story here: Cathe Friedrich - Hormonal Response to High-Intensity Training: Why It Burns More Fat

My HR on my Polar HRM goes regularly into the 170s-180s and occasionally into the 190s. It scares me to look when I see it flash at me (I set my limits @ 110-180 BPM to cover HiiT & steady state workouts), but I usually feel fine, in fact great since that is usually when the endorphins kick in! I have been athletic since high school and have used the HRM since the late 80's when they first became popular. I like it for the calorie burn info. I don't let a high number limit me if I feel good, but I know to push it more if the HR is low. Recently though, I'm thinking "I'm going to mention this to my doctor @ my next physical".

I always go by how I feel. Always listen to your body, and happy training!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.