Lower Abs

lailaq8

HI Cathe

First, thanks for your the CTX tapes. Not only am I enjoying the weight portions of each tape (some of the cardio is a bit high impact for me) but now my boyfriend, his brother, and mother all own the PS series and Max Intensity Strength.

My question, I have a real hard time zeroing in on my lower abs during reverse crunch without rolling a little, particularly if my ankles are crossed. All the pointer say my knees should be raising to the ceiling but it seems to me that they are not really doing this. What am I doing incorrectly? How can I 'feel' this more?

Thanks again
Laila

Suggestion I am stealing from an instructor friend:
Try balancing a book on your shins when you do it...keep the movement really slow and short range..and concentrate on sucking your belly button down solid and keeping it down the whole time. Visualize your lower abs contracting & pulling back down into your belly button into a tight "V" and forget about your legs for awhile. They just naturally do what they are supposed to when you get the form down.
If your legs are straight up and down (not bent knee version), pretend you have a glass of water balancing on the soles of your feet.

Hi Laila! The movement can be done with or without your ankles crossed. Try uncrossing your legs and see if this helps. Also, keep in mind that even attempting this movement will activate your lower abdominals. So even if your legs barely move, the contraction is still occuring. TIP: Visualize lifting your hip bones upward as opposed to lifting your legs.

Once you have found that deep contraction, stay contracted (but don't hold your breath) for three SLOW counts and then release on the fourth count. Do three sets of 10 in this manner. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.