Long Distance Running and STS

TXGin

Cathlete
Cathe,
I posted this question on STS, but thought I might also post it here in hopes that you would see it and be able to answer.
I am going to start training for a half marathon than will take place at the end of February. I will be running 2 times a week (3-6 miles) plus one longer distance once a week. At the same time, I hope to start STS in Jan. (on alternate days of course). Is this a wise thing to do both at the same time, or should I wait to start STS until after the half marathon for best results?

Thank you for all of your hard work and I can't wait for STS!!
You are the best!:):):)

Cathe,
I posted this question on STS, but thought I might also post it here in hopes that you would see it and be able to answer.
I am going to start training for a half marathon than will take place at the end of February. I will be running 2 times a week (3-6 miles) plus one longer distance once a week. At the same time, I hope to start STS in Jan. (on alternate days of course). Is this a wise thing to do both at the same time, or should I wait to start STS until after the half marathon for best results?

Thank you for all of your hard work and I can't wait for STS!!
You are the best!:):):)

Hi Gin! Specificity training (training in a specific way for a specific activity to help you reach specific goals) is strongly advised when you have an event closely approaching. But when you are in the "off season", cross training to improve your "specific" event down the road (months away) can certainly be beneficial.

In other words, strength training will help improve your overall running performance, but as the running event appoaches, you'll want to scale back on heavy leg workouts and focus specifically on your running goals. Reason being that heavy leg workouts will tax your legs differently and also require additional recovery time. The energy that is put into these workouts/recovery could be taking away from the energy needed to support your running goals during crunch time.

On the flip side, your STS program welcomes cardio along with it. Running three times a week along with STS will be fine. But if you start running five or more days per week for especially long distances, the energy and recovery required for these frequent long distance runs, could interfere with your strength improvements/goals for STS.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.