LL is sooooo mean

R_Sake

Hi,
I finally got my LL tape...I was so excited I did it at 5:30 am! (I am not a morning person too) You almost killed me! It was soooo hard! I had to take breaks in between and I cheated on a few of those half way up squats. Ouch! I was only using a 20 lb barbell too...that's only 10 lbs on each side! My legs are not talking to me now.
I have a 13 inch toolbox for the leg press...can I use that for the single leg lunge torture? Why are you so mean? Can I have another set?! OMG. OMG.
Are static lunges more effective than regular lunges? How are they different as far as which muscles they target? Mean Momma.

PERSONALLY, I feel static lunges more in my quadriceps and other non-static lunges (forward, reverse, walking) more in my hamstrings and glutes. Jeanne

Hi! Wow, I am so impressed that you got through LL at that hour when you are not a morning person. Thats not an easy tape to start with. Static lunges work both legs overall, however they target more of the glutes and hamstrings of the front leg and the hip flexors and quadriceps of the rear leg. One type of lunge is not better than another lunge. Generally lunges target the same muscle groups but the variations of each lunge will recruit muscles in different ways which will keep your muscle responding more favorably. Keep up the hard work:)!

Does it mean I am doing something wrong if I feel the low ends of static lunges in my calf not in my quad???

Hello!
Thank you. I was kind of iffy about posting that I used a 20 lb. barbell, knowing a lot of people who post use heavier weights on this board. But I had to find a way to live through the entire tape, hahaha.
I'm very happy with it. It gives me an option now of doing a leg tape that doesn't raise my heart rate as much as SL. I can concentrate more on form with this tape. The single leg lunges really make me feel like I'm working the quads. I felt the difference when I tried to do the last reps with both feet on the floor.
I read in oxygen magazine that if you lunge forward on a 5-7 inch step you shift the focus from quads to butt and hams. Sounds cool. I have to check if it's a static lunge with the front foot elevated or single count lunges.
Thanks again for replying!

Hi, sometimes when you are trying so hard to maintain your balance during static lunges, you don't realize it, but you may be pressing your back leg into the floor so hard that you are straining your calf muscle. If this is what you think you might be doing, try static lunges with no weight and a chair at your side for support. Place one hand lightly on the chair as you go through the reps for better balance. One you have mastered your balance, remove the chair but still use no weight. Then once you have mastered this, go ahead and gradually add your weights back. Good Luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.