Knee Injury Prevention

Sugarbean

Cathlete
To Whom It May Concern :)
I just started doing step workouts in the past two months regularly, and really love them, although, I can feel twinges in my knees at times. Is there anything that anyone can suggest that might prevent knee injury besides not doing the workouts ;)?
Thanks for suggestions,

Well, imagine doing squats with a 40 lbs barbell on your shoulders.... :) - that will immediately make your knees feel better! :D
Krasy

To Whom It May Concern :)
I just started doing step workouts in the past two months regularly, and really love them, although, I can feel twinges in my knees at times. Is there anything that anyone can suggest that might prevent knee injury besides not doing the workouts ;)?
Thanks for suggestions,

Step is just about the only form of exercise that causes me knee twinges...I find that Glucosamine taken daily completely alleviates my issues (doesnt work for everyone)...I also dont use more than 1 riser for cardio step and I dont ever do step more than 2x in a 7 day period.

I think it depends on what is actually causing the twinges... Sometimes it can be the shoes... sometimes there is a deeper knee/joint issue....sometimes form.... Just be safe & if you cant get a handle on whats causing it I personally wouldn't continue stepping w/ pain. Also- sometimes just taking a 2-4 week break from the activity causing the discomfort can "miraculously heal" you.

Step is just about the only form of exercise that causes me knee twinges...I find that Glucosamine taken daily completely alleviates my issues (doesnt work for everyone)...I also dont use more than 1 riser for cardio step and I dont ever do step more than 2x in a 7 day period.

I think it depends on what is actually causing the twinges... Sometimes it can be the shoes... sometimes there is a deeper knee/joint issue....sometimes form.... Just be safe & if you cant get a handle on whats causing it I personally wouldn't continue stepping w/ pain. Also- sometimes just taking a 2-4 week break from the activity causing the discomfort can "miraculously heal" you.

Thanks for the response! I am using oldish shoes- they're court shoes that I pulled out- I initially tried to do step in running shoes, which was a mistake! Any recommendations for shoes? The glucosamine is a good idea, I only use one step too, and I will probably stop doing the workouts more than twice in a week.

Good advice,

Thanks again,

Thanks for the response! I am using oldish shoes- they're court shoes that I pulled out- I initially tried to do step in running shoes, which was a mistake! Any recommendations for shoes? The glucosamine is a good idea, I only use one step too, and I will probably stop doing the workouts more than twice in a week.

Good advice,

Thanks again,

Lisa- Glad some of it actually applied to YOUR situation!:)

I use several brands & rotate them because I have "funky feet";) I use cross training shoes from Asics, New Balance, Avia .... I also have a pair of Tennis Shoes from Avia that actually have the best lateral support out of any of my cross trainers (plus about 30 bucks less!) *go figure*

I do also have 3 different type of Rykas and for support they are fine but they do bother my "funky feet" if I wear them too many times in a row.

HTH- Now get out there & shoe shop today! :D

When I first started doing Cathe's step workouts my knees felt a bit "twingy" and achy, but I found that as my legs got stronger, that ache went away. Not sure how that compares to your pain, though. If you feel sharper or more severe pain then I would stop and consult a doctor, otherwise if it's just a minor ache you may be able to give it more time and see what happens.

Shoes can also cause something like this too. I wear cross trainers by Ryka. They have very good support.

When I first started doing Cathe's step workouts my knees felt a bit "twingy" and achy, but I found that as my legs got stronger, that ache went away. Not sure how that compares to your pain, though. If you feel sharper or more severe pain then I would stop and consult a doctor, otherwise if it's just a minor ache you may be able to give it more time and see what happens.

Shoes can also cause something like this too. I wear cross trainers by Ryka. They have very good support.

I've never felt my knees until I bought Bootcamp and KPC, all my dvds are weightlifting from Cathe. I too bought the Ryka crosstrainers, and put down a 6 x 8 area of cushion tile. What a difference! And I also believe my knees got stronger after a few weeks.

Everyone,
thanks for the great advice- I wouldn't have come up with putting down soft tiles. Great advice about the shoes, too.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I thank you and both my knees do too :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.