Issues with weight loss

farakh

Cathe,

Two years ago I gave birth to a 10 lb baby. I had to get a c-section and my tummy/belly button looked awful after the baby. I was 215 lbs and started working out. Within a year I was down to 145. This year I started weights in my excercise routine. I started using your videos and they are great! I lost another 15 pounds this year and currently I am a size 4. I have never been happier about my weight! The only problem I have though is no matter how many abdominal excercises I do, I can't firm up my tummy. although it is flatter than it was before, it is still very soft and there is loose skin below my belly button (not to mention my belly button is expanded). I also noticed that my breast size has been reduced a cup size since I started using your videos and there is loose skin there too. What can I do to fix this problem. Is there a way to tighten and tone my tummy and my breast? I have worked so hard for the past two years and hate that these two problem areas are bothering me so much! Please recommend something....

thank you and I Think you are awesome!

Not Cathe , but like Julie, great job on your accomplishments! I too had 2 almost 10lb babies, one natural ( ouch!) and one c-section because of complications. I dont really have an issue with my belly, although as I get older, its a lot harder to attempt to keep it flat. I do have a little pooch under by belly button , right above the scar. But then again its been 16years since I had the c-section. I'd be interested to hear what Cathe suggests as well.

Again, congrats on your accomplishments!

Not Cathe either, and another "WELL DONE"!!!! on your accomplishments!!! I too have the same problem, Doncha just LOVE the "pooch" and as the previous post, I am very intrested to hear what Cathe suggests.

>Not Cathe either, and another "WELL DONE"!!!! on your
>accomplishments!!! I too have the same problem, Doncha just
>LOVE the "pooch" and as the previous post, I am very intrested
>to hear what Cathe suggests.

Another Jill interested in hearing Cathe's opinion on this. Even at my lowest weight that "pooch" doesn't go away! Is there anything to be done short of a tummy tuck?

Cathe ,same issue here 3 c-sections..My scar looks like a smily pooch. :( :+ .Help,A smily flat belly would be better LOL :) :-:) :) . .PS You are my hero:D :D :D :D Oh also it pokes out right at my scar.

Hey! I'd be interested to see what Cathe writes. I had a similar issue. I did not have a c-section but after my 2nd child I have the same issues. My ob sent me to a surgeon- he told me I have an umbilical hernia and my lower ab muscles have split.(due to preg.) - anyway, he said the only way to correct this lower ab problem is surgery and he would not recommend it since it is painful. Its been 5 years now and with the help of cathe and some ashtanga yoga, they are better but I still have loose skin around my belly. Good job getting as far as you did- you should be proud!! Also let me just mention weight has nothing to do with it- I'm 106. Hope this was helpful and I can't wait to see what cathe recommends!:) Deanie

Not Cathe of course, but I felt compelled to respond and tell you my own story and what I did to fix it.

Like you, I had a large baby and a C-section. I had gained a lot of weight during pregnancy and it took me a long time to lose it. After many years, first with The Firm and then with Cathe, I got a great shape, was at my correct weight and was generally satisfied with how I looked. Except for my lower abs. There was a lot of loose skin, a layer of fat underneath and nothing I did seemed to make it go away completely. I could not possibly lose more weight in an effort to fix this area, my abs were rock hard and strong but I was not pleased with this pooch.

I continued exercising and doing ab routines with Cathe several times a week. After a few more years I decided that I needed to have a tummy tuck, or learn to live with how my lower abs were. It was not possible for me to make them any better on my own. I think it has something to do with genetics. Some people have skin that will snap back, some people don't. I was one of the unlucky ones.

I finally had that tummy tuck and am glad I did. The doctor told me that when he was in there he found some loose muscles way underneath and he stitched them up tighter. I was surprised because I thought my abs were strong, even if they were covered by marshmallow. Anyway, my stomach is now as flat as it was when I was 18 and I am still working out with Cathe. Although a tummy tuck will give you flatness and remove excess skin, those rock hard abs come with work and I don't mind putting in the effort.

I am not saying what I did is the best way for everyone. It's a personal decision and everyone has to decide for herself what is right for her. Also, it's only been two years for you. Perhaps your skin just needs more time to tighten up. I had my surgery about eleven years after giving birth. I doubt at that point anything further was going to happen with my loose skin to make it look better. It was surgery or keeping the loose skin and underlying fat and I chose to get rid of it once and for all.

Yes, the recovering from the surgery was uncomfortable, it was expensive and not pleasant. But I would do it all over again, knowing what I know now, because the results are awesome.

Regards, Marlene

Marlene,
I really have been hoping to find someone who has had a TT and does Cathe's workouts, and you're the only one I've found.

I'm having a full TT in 3 weeks. I lost 100 lbs, and had 2 kids in 18 months, so my stomach is a nightmare. I had planned to attend a Pilates certification 8 weeks post-op. How was your recovery? How soon could you do Cathe's ab work again? How long did you wait to start exercising again?

So many women never do ab work again after the TT, because their stomach is flat. I want to teach and actually need to use those muscles.

I'm dying to hear what Cathe says about this too.

Oh, I think there are more Cathe-ites who have had a tummy tuck but not everyone wants to talk about it.

While a tummy tuck helped me achieve the shape I wanted, I continue to exercise, spending several times a week following Cathe's ab routines because I like having a six pack. Surgery can make abs flat but that's about it. I want the definition and it takes work for that.

The recovery from surgery wasn't fun, but I lived through it. The first week was the most uncomfortable. I was not in pain exactly. The compression garment and the swelling that accompanies surgery made me feel the worst, as opposed to actual pain. I went back to work after the second week and managed nicely even though the job I had at the time required a lot of standing on my feet. I had no problems with that.

I believe I resumed exercising after six weeks, starting off slowly of course. You need to check with your doctor before you do that. He or she will be able to help you set up a time frame based on your particular case. You won't be as strong as when you stopped, but you will regain your former level of fitness quite quickly. At least I did.

Well, I haven't had one but sure would like to!! I had 3 big babies all by c-sec. I spent quite a bit of time at the links shown on that other thread. I use to think - in my dreams, maybe if I win the lottery. But now I'm thinking maybe it's a possibility. Keep posting, Dawn, I'd love to hear how things are going for you! :) Marnie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.