Incline pushups - why are they so hard for me?

catnap

This is my first post in ages (though I lurk alot) - I can't believe what I thought were my user name and password actually worked. Anyway regarding pushups - I can do regular floor pushups on my toes - no problem. I can do decline pushups with my feet raised on a step - not as many as flat but I can do them. However when it come to pushups with my hands raised on a step be it a low step (6-8") or high step (12-14")I can hardly do any - they are torture and it doesn't matter whether my hands are close or far or whether they point in or out. Most people say this kind is easier - what is wrong with me? Does this indicate a certain weakness which I can work on in other ways? I can do incline bench presses with heavy weights.

Hi, Catnap! I'm just hazarding a guess here, but it could be that because higher-incline push-ups recruit the lower portion of the pectorals and these may be lesser developed for you than the middle and upper region of the pecs, that's why they're more difficult.

IMHO, if you're doing well with floor push-ups and decline push-ups with your feet on a bench, don't bother with the kind of push-ups you're describing. If you do want to pursue them, perhaps you could cross-train by doing bench presses with your trunk in a decline position on a slanted bench (i.e. head nearer the floor).

ANnette Q. Aquajock

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.