I Need Advice on Aerobic Flooring

D

donna

I thought I should re-word the subject line - I wasn't too clear whether I was asking or giving the first time. Sorry.

I need your advice. We have been fortunate enough to have an old feed barn (17' x 19') to convert to a home gym. The floor is a new concrete slab. The building will house one big piece of Hoist equipment with multi-station options for the hub. I will have an aerobic area somewhat larger than my old area.

The slab will be covered with a light pad and industrial type carpeting (not plush). Will I need to put down some sort of rubber mat in addition to the pad and carpet? There is a Feed Store in town that sells dairy padding for cows. The padding is made of recycled rubber materials. It is very heavy and is about 1" thick.

What do you think?

Donna

I don't have an answer for you, but you might want to read "Building An Aerobic Floor" in the Video Questions and Comments section. I am not familiar with the method that they were talking about, but apparently they have done some research and build it. May be you could e-mail them and ask them how they did it. Hope this helps!

Hi, Donna, if you are interested in mats, there's a website which specializes in these types of mats. http://www.greatmats.com I am going to ask my husband to get a 6x8 mat for Christmas. I bought a similar mat at a toy store. It's an interconnecting alphabet puzzle mat and it works great. We have tile over concrete. The puzzle is 10 inch squares. The exercise mats are 2 foot squares. My 4 year old keeps taking the ABC mat apart. It the best $16.00 I ever spent but I have decided to invest in the real thing!

If you are interested in a wood floor, there are various resources available to help you out there as well!

Good luck!
Bobbi http://www.plaudersmilies.de/natur/petals.gif

Hi Donna,
I purchased cow stall mats for my Floor. My workout room has a cement floor also with a thin carpet but after working out on that for years it was time for different flooring (My knees were starting to feel it). I read where someone else had used the stall mats. I find they are working fine for me and what I like is that they can be moved around if I ever have a need to change my workout area. Also if weights are dropped it won't hurt the flooring. Just my opinion. Good Luck
Deb

Hi Deb...thanks for the advice. I think cow stall mats might be the best kept secret in the world. I wasn't sure if I had a thin pad and industrial carpet over the concete if I still needed the mats. I think I will purchase an additional one to go with the one I already have. I can expand my aerobic area a little bit so maybe I won't be kicking refrigerators and video tape shelves anymore.

Thanks all for responding.

Donna

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.