How to target long head of tricep?

mspina

Cathlete
Cathe,

I feel like my lateral head is more developed than my long head - I've got 1/2 a good horse-shoe going on. :) I think I've got the terminology correct... If twist my arm to flex my tricep, the muscle that's on top (and therefore lateral when my arms are down at my sides) is more developed than the lower muscle (or closer to my body when arms are down).

How can I tweak tricep exercises to specifically target the long head? I love working tri's and I have no issues with any moves (skull crushers, overhead press, dips, kickbacks, cable push downs, etc.).

Any tips would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Michelle

Michelle,

I looked this up in a weight training book for you.

The long head of the triceps is indeed the lower muscle.

The long head attaches at the shoulder joint while the lateral and medial heads attach to the arm bone.

To better isolate the long head, tricep exercises with arms raised overhead are effective. Since the shoulder is flexed, the long head gets stretched at the top of the move and gets recruited the most during the contraction phase of the exercise. So the exercises you should pick are overhead tricep extensions (one arm dumbbell, two arm single dumbbell, side lying on a ball like in the STS blog, barbell version...)

Exercises done with the arms extended at 90 degrees in front of the body like the skull crusher work the overall tricep - all theree heads are recruited.

Exercises done with the arms held by the sides or behind the body (dumbbell kickbacks, tricep dips, cable press downs) target the medial and lateral heads - those that cause the horse shoe. This is because the shoulder position reduces the ability of the long head to get involved.

Good luck bringing the long head up to par with the rest of the triceps.

~* Vrinda *~

I can do these at home with either a band or tubing attached to my Power Tower pull-up bar. Works like a charm. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.