how long should I stay off my broken toe?

omearaee

Hello Cathe

I recently broke one of my toes, the middle one on my left foot. I have been staying off it for the past few days. But recently I began wondering how long I should wait until I workout again. I don't want to lose any cardio gains I have made in recently but I don't want to push it either. Do you have any suggestions or advice for me.

Thank you:7
Erin

Erin,

I broke my little toe on my right foot twice. My advice - see a doctor and stay off of it until he/she says you can exercise. Frankly, based on my experience, walking in bare feet should be pretty difficult for you now. I couldn't even get my regular shoes on for 2 months? How could you possibly even get a pair of sneakers on now?

Caryn

Caryn,

I went to the doctor and had x-rays. They told me it was broken and there wasn't much that could be done about a broken toe. The doctor suggested I stay off it for 4 to 6 weeks. I have broken a toe before and I don't remember staying off it that long. I guess I'm just worried about losing my cardio endurance and what I can do to prevent this from happening.

Thanks for your opinion
Erin:7

Erin,

The Doctor is right. There isn't much they can do for a broken toe. Just rest and maybe taping. But you do have to stay off of it for 4 to 6 weeks. If you go back to normal activity (including putting on sneakers and doing cardio), it will take even longer to heal. Your cardio endurance will come back. I had pneumonia for 6 weeks last summer and I got back into the swing of things fairly quickly (after the dr. gave me the go-ahead).

Caryn

Sorry to hear about that.
I have broken my little toes twice each and the next ones in once (I am clumsy).
I found that taping--nice sturdy taping-- helped a lot, but sometimes needed to change acxtivity (more bike, etc.)
I actually found that step was less painful than walking sometimes (go figure).

Good luck.
Michele

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.