How to develop arm/shoulder strength for planks, etc.

murfmom

Cathlete
I often struggle with plank-based exercises, down dogs and any other exercise that involves supporting myself on my arms. I can usually match you (or 2-5 lbs less) on most weight workouts, but my arms/shoulders just can't seem to support me for very long at all. This limits a lot of core work. I hope I'm making sense. Any recommendations for building up my stamina in this area?

I often struggle with plank-based exercises, down dogs and any other exercise that involves supporting myself on my arms. I can usually match you (or 2-5 lbs less) on most weight workouts, but my arms/shoulders just can't seem to support me for very long at all. This limits a lot of core work. I hope I'm making sense. Any recommendations for building up my stamina in this area?

I used to have this problem, too, when I first started working our regularly. But I found the more planks and push ups I do, the longer I can remain in that position. Have you thought about doing a plank challenge? Holding plank every day and trying to hold it for longer every day? Try to get yourself up to 3 minutes. And also lots of push ups. Ilaria has a really good 30 minute workout that has you doing lots of push ups (and ab work, too!) to strength those muscles: Amazon.com: ABS & PUSHUPS Plus: Sports & Outdoors

I agree with the above poster. The only way to get good at something is well, to do it. It can be tough. For planks try doing them with the arms fully extended as long as you can and then drop to the knees and hold as long as you can. Do it several times a day if need be. And strengthening the core is also helpful. The stronger the core, the less taxing this is to the arms ;)

Doing bench presses with progressively heavier weights will also help. When you are doing planks and pushups you are actually supporting something like 70% of your body weight. I agree with doing more planks to get good at them, but bench presses will help too if you are a long way from being able to support your body weight.

Stebby

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.