How can I help strengthen my knees?

nenita

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

This is my first time to post on any forum, and I would like to begin by saying "Thank you" for all the wonderful workouts you have provided. I recently started using the workouts you have available on FitTV and have done it for 3 weeks. I have seen results in that time.

However, I was recently diagnosed with ostheoarthritis on both knees and twisted my ankle 2 weeks ago. My doctor told me to stop exercising for 2 weeks, and been given meds to reduce any inflammation. I wanted to know if you have any recommendations on how I can build up my knee strength. It's been painful for me to get up from a sitting position, walk down the stairs in my house or to even do my 2-mile walk. I can't stand not being able to exercise.

I saw that you had knee surgery on one of the posts, and since I see that you don't have any problems with your exercises (squats, lunges, etc.). what knee/leg exercises did you do to strengthen them after the surgery? Which of your workout DVDs can you recommend that I follow first after my 2-week rest? Eventually, I would like to own all of them. I am also planning on registering for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer 3-Day here in San Diego in November. It's a 60-mile walk so I definitely need to train for it. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you again for all that you do and for being an inspiration to millions of people out there, especially me!

Sincerely,
Nenita:)

Nenita,
I've had knee surgery twice to remove loose cartlidge and learned
the second time that I have arthritis too. It's common, and exercise helps.

I did physical therapy both times. The best exercise for me was to strengthen the muscles around the knee. These were straight leg cables. Attach a cuff or exercise band around your ankle. Stand up straight and do 10 - 15 reps forward, side (outer), back, and side (inner thigh). Repeat for 2 or 3 sets. When that gets easy, buy a heavier band or add weight to the cable machine. If you keep doing those, the other exercises (squats & lungers) will be easier since those muscles will be stronger. The beauty of these is that I could do them the day after surgery since they did not stress the joint.

Now for the best part, adding straight leg cable exercises to my regular rotations has really added DEFINITION to my legs. I mean my legs and knees look and more importantly feel great.

I would recommend you hire a well qualified personal trainer to prepare for the walk. If you exercise on your own, you may only need to pay for a few sessions to develop a program and check your form.

Another routine that has helped my knees is butts and guts. The emphasis on the backside has made me stronger and therefore my knees take less abuse.

Best wishes!
Dlaudy.

Hi Dlaudy,

Thank you so much for posting a reply! I was thinking of ordering butts and guts, but I wasn't sure how that would affect my knees. I'm so glad you mentioned it, and I will definitely order it. I'm going to do the leg exercises you recommended, and my lower body is actually my problem spot so getting defined legs is definitely an added bonus!

I will probably need surgery at some point too because my knees just crackle and pop so bad, but I'm hoping exercise will do a good job of prolonging the inevitable. My doctor told me that if the pain does not go away after taking my meds for 2 weeks, then I'll have to be referred for physical therapy.

It's funny you mentioned a personal trainer because I had been talking to another friend and she started with a personal trainer, and I was thinking of going for the month of May. Another friend also gave me a card for a complimentary session with the personal trainer I plan on going to.

Thanks again for your help. I truly appreciate it. :)

Sincerely,
Nenita

Hi!! Not Cathe, but I had knee surg last Aug, so I'm going to add my input. I agree with the band/cables going all 4 directions. It will also strengthen your standing leg. I found that my standing leg often got more tired. Also my PT put me thru 1 legged step downs from the step. You basically keep the bad side on the step platform and step down to touch your toe of the other foot to the ground, then back up. Works the teardrop muscle big time. I had a hard time with this one, I kept wanting to move from the waist/hips, instead of bend at the knee. It hurt for a while to do those, but I eventually worked up to it, and boy, do they ever work. You will want to be by a wall or table so you have something to grab on to if you loose your balance. Also wall squats w/ the stability ball btwn your back and the wall. Pretty much anything that strengthens your legs will add stability to your knee, and you'll end up with a lot less pain, and crackle-pops. Good luck!!

Hi Spyrosmom,

Thank you also for your input. It helps to know that there is something I can do. I actually tried the exercises already, but went a little easy so as not to cause more pain in my knees. The exercises with the band and the step didn't bother my knees at all. Thanks again. Truly appreciate the help and input.

Sicerely,
Nenita

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.