HIIT Training/Muscle Growth

StaceyDeLapp

Cathlete
Hi Cathe. I am a huge fan, and have been working out with your tapes for the past 7 years. I truly believe that I have reached new fitness heights with your videos. I am now trying to gain more muscle mass/trying to get more cut. With this new goal in mind, I have a couple of questions for you.

1. You have great musculature and I am wondering if you lift a lot heavier in your gym than you do on your videos (having the benefit of a spotter, etc.) From other forums concentrating more on muscular growth, I am reading that I should be lifting extremely heavy and only doing about 6 reps at a time, and about 4 sets for each exercise.

2. They strongly recommend HIIT training, I'm sure you're familiar with the term, but it's High Intensity Intervals for about 20 minutes stating that you don't need more than 20 minutes to reach cardiovascular benefit, and additionally, too much aerobic exercise can eat muscle mass. That you should try to control your weight with diet, and not so much with exercise. I was wondering if you thought your interval tapes, alternated M-W-F, and only doing half of the intervals would qualify for this type of a workout, and/or if you think this would/could cause overuse injury.

Any insight you have would be greatly valued.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.