Hi Cathe - weak wrist & hand question

HollyCat

Cathlete
Hi Cathe and everyone else on this forum! I hope you all are well. Anyway, whenever I do pushups or bench presses, I experience pain in my wrists. Usually the limitations in my strength result from this pain. I have tried modifying pushups by using hexagonal dumbbells to allow my wrists to be straighter, but then the pressure of the dumbbells on my palms becomes painful. Similarly, with the bench press, even if I keep my wrists as straight as possible, the weight of the barbell or dumbbells on my palms keeps me from doing as many reps as I'd like. I currently use what I think are pretty good weightlifting gloves, and wonder if anyone else has any suggestions for gloves, equipment, wrist support, or modifications for these exercises. Thanks a bunch!

Holly

Hi Holly! You can try doing wall push ups but try to do slow reps to remove all of the momentum from the movement. Doing them on the wall will keep you from putting pressure directly over your wrists. Other suggestions are to continue to do forearm strengthening exercises. Good Luck!

Hi Holly!

We do the "wall" push ups many times at my class and we incorporate singles, down2/up2, 3/1, 1/3, 4/4, 8/8(really feel these!) and also the slow/heavy method, down 2,up 6SLOW! Just some added ideas to Cathe's suggestion!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

It sounds like you may be experiencing more pain than me, but just wanted to say that I wear a wrist brace OVER my glove. I also do pushups with my hands on the edge of my bench and it works well.

Andrea

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.