Hi Cathe.....another weight training question!!

T

trevor

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-05-01 AT 02:45PM (Est)[/font][p]How's it going Cathe? Hope your pregnancy is proceeding smoothly and that your family is doing well.
I wanted to ask you,(hope I havent asked this before!!) for the following bodyparts, if you had to pick 2 or 3 weight exercises for each, what would they be? I am trying to bulk up and going 3 sets of 8 with the following has worked nicely. However, I'd like to streamline the weights a bit if possible. Here is what I am doing. I know there are some redundancies such as two exercises working the same area. If one is better than another please point it out to me. Gracias! :) This whole program of mine seems like too much and has taken on a life of it's own because I try to do too much. :)
Chest:
incline machine press
flat dumbbell press
flat pec dec
cable crossovers

Back:
military press on machine
upright row machine
bent over dumbbell rows
lat pulldown behind the neck

Biceps:
machine curls
curls using curl bar while seated

Triceps:
seated triceps pushdown on machine
triceps pushdown using cables
and i think this is a french curl?? .... seated with elbows up and bar behind head. push bar up over your head working tris..sorry!! :)

Shoulders:
side raises with dumbbells/or machine
front raises with dumbbells

Legs/butt: (here's where I need some streamlining)
barbell squats
machine squats
outer thigh machine
inner thigh machine
glute blaster machine
leg extensions
leg curls
heel raises

In addition I do 3 days per week cardio(spinning class,usually intervals on indoor bike, and climber). Class is 1 hour, and other 2 workouts on my own are 35 mins. I also switch Imax and Bodymax in and out when I need to see your smiling face and get re-motivated!! That's very frequently! :)
Abs are everyday and consist of crunches and machine work.
Whatcha think Cathe? Feel free to critique! I have a thick skin!!
One last thing Cathe....your opinion on the torso twist machine for working abs?
Thanks Cathe!! Stay healthy, happy, and safe!!
Trevor
:)

Hi Trevor! Sorry for the wait. We're all fine here (thanks for asking) and I hope your family is well too:)!

Looking over everything that you have asked, I would say that the exercises that I would select are as follows:

Chest: Upper: Incline Fly
Middle: Bench Press
Lower: Cable Crossover

Back: Cable Row
T-Bar Row
Pull Ups OR Lat Pulldown but IN FRONT of neck (less risky to joints)

Shoulder: Dumbell Front Raise
Long Lever Lateral Raise on cable (one arm at a time)
Rear Delt Machine

Biceps: Barbell Preacher Curl
Dumbbell Hammer Curl
Concentration Dumbbell Curl

Tricep: Dumbbell Kickbacks
Tricep Press Down on Cable
Dips on mounted bars

Legs: I would select all of the ones that you have mentioned, except I would replace the butt blaster with standing static lunges using the smith machine

Now, for the exercises that you have listed here:

Chest: Looks good but a suggestion could be to substitute the pec dec and insert flat bench flys. Totally optional.

Back: Your first two exercises recruit a lot of shoulder. Perhaps replace with a low back machine and/or a low pulley row machine and/or pull ups. Then for the lat pull down simply pull the bar in front of you instead of behind you. It is safer.

Shoulders: Perhaps add a shrug and rear delt machine

Biceps: Curls in all varieties is great

Triceps: Looks great except a lot of stress is placed on the inner elbow area with the seated tricep press machine. If that does not effect you then keep it up, but if it does, then substitute overhead extentions with dumbbells.

Legs: The line up has great variety. Change the order every couple of weeks. Go slighty lighter with longer reps for a more streamline look.

As for your cardio, you may want to break up some of that spinning with a run if you find yourself getting bored with spin or your legs find the routine too predictable. For abs, you know I mostly suggest 3 to 4 times per week, but more is not harmful and up to you. I like the ab oblique machine. While it does seem to broaded the muscle a bit, it also brings the cuts out nicely.

Okay, I think I answered them all. Take Care and have a great weekend :)!

Thank you Cathe! Your advice is golden to me and I appreciate you taking the time to help me. :)
Have a super weekend! :)
Trevor

RE: Thanks to both of you;O)

Hi Nancy! I have not heard form you in a while. I hope all is well and I'm glad this post has been resourceful to you. Have a great weekend!

Good to "see you too" Cath...

I've been busy the last couple of months helping my buddy Wendy with here wedding:). Which was beautiful! It took quite a bit of time from me but worth every minute. We made her invitations, programs and favors for the wedding along with various other tasks. You'll appreciate this, as a special bridesmaids gift, she hand made a gift certificate that reads...All Expense Paid Cathe Trip:7. She's decorated it with little slogans like Italian Bistro and Don Pablos, along with exercise stuff. It's so cute...and appropriate(exercising together with your tapes made us best friends)...not to mention thoughtful. So, hopefully, before Eric's little sibling is born, we'll wander on down south and pop in for a class:).

Her new husband has also become one of your biggest fans. He's been using your tapes for some time now and really enjoys them. Well...not sure if enjoy is the right word to use;O)...I heard that he swears at you during legs too LOL. He's actually going to apply some of the CTX stuff to his high school wrestling teams training.

OK...enough rambling. I'm slowly getting back into things since all this wedding stuff and hardly have had time to enjoy your latest tapes but what I have done..I love! I've just started using Slow and Heavy broken down to one part a day:7...I know you get this all the time...but thanks for giving us so many options and quality stuff.

Hope you're feeling well:).

http://publish.hometown.aol.com/naconfer/images/clutzvfsig.jpg

RE: Good to "see you too" Cath...

Hi Nancy! Thanks for the note. Please extend my congratulations to Wendy and her husband. I wish them all my best. How fun that her husband works out with my tapes too. So now all three of you can do the tapes ;-)! Oh, and what a great bridesmaids gift. You two always had a very special friendship and thats golden.

Hope to see you soon. Take Care!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.