Help! When I do weights, I get bigger/fatter looking :(

beanqueen

Cathlete
Hi cathe,

I love your tapes, and really enjoy doing weights. But it seems like when i do any type of weighted workouts, (Heavy weight, light weight, high reps etc.) my arms and legs get "bigger". :-o Not flabby bigger, but silhouette bigger. (Does that make sense?) and it's not really the look I was hoping for. Although, i realize it might just be the nature of weighted workouts, to possible increase in size. I'm really looking for more just toning and muscle definition. I've tried lighter weights more reps, but still with similar results.

I'm 36, 5'3" 127 pounds, and in relatively good shape. I do power yoga, pilates and alot of cardio, too.

The 'looking bigger thing' is really discouraging me from doing any sort of weight workouts. I really wanted to get your new apes, but am concerned about problems with getting/appearing bigger. Would appreciate any suggestions or thoughts.

Thanks so much.
p

I think this is an area where an experienced personal trainer might be able to help you. You need someone with experience to look at your body type and figure out what type of program would
suit you the best.

Generally any weight training program will make the muscle grow eventually. Body builders do general weight exercises and lean themselves out through extreme dieting and some cardio, but it's mostly diet.

Thank you so much for responding, Janep :)

Gee, I don't know if I'll have access to a personal trainer in the near future. But for now, maybe I'll discontinue my weight workouts.

Thank you again.
p

Hi Beanqueen! It's pretty normal for women to get bigger before they get smaller when they start working out with weights. Part of it is that the muscles swell from retained water. And part of it, as I understand it, is that there may be fat inside the muscle that's getting pushed to the surface as a result of the weight training, resulting in a fatter appearance. The good news is that this is temporary. Cardio will burn off the unwanted fat. Also, the muscles themselves will increase metabolic rate, making it easier to get the fat off and keep it off. My understanding is that if you don't do some weight training along with your cardio, you'll actually lose muscle along with fat, resulting in an appearance that's smaller but not necessarily more toned.

I'm not a fitness pro or anything, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I will be interested to hear what others think.

Laura

Thanks so much, Laura. That was great info, and very helpful! :) It encourages me to want to re-look and pursue the whole weight lifting thing. :)

Thanks and have a good weekend.

Hi P!

I just wanted to encourage you to stick with the weights. I am one who tends to bulk up too big also when I use too heavy of weights. When I dropped the poundage some, it seemed to taper off. (I believe the slow & heavy will be different because of the amount of reps we will be doing.) I am doing my body parts 3X/week and have seen a decrease in the size of my muscles but yet still have tone. Experiment some and see what works for you. As Cathe says, "They do good things for you in the end!" Good Luck!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH :)
"If You Get The Chance To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!"

RE: Hi P!

Hi Debbie! :)

thanks so much for responding. :)

your experience w/ weights was really encouraging to hear. but, gee, i didn't order the slow & heavy on pre-order, b/c i thought it might cause too much bulking :eek: well, i'll have to wait and see how things go...

thanks again for sharing your experience, it was really very helpful.

have a good day!
p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.