Help! my arms are too bulky!!!

NathL

Cathlete
Hi Cathe and Cathe nation!
Yesterday I went to shop for a ladies suit (I hope it's the right term in English ;)) Often, the sleeves were too tight!!!! I think my arms are too bulky.
I guess my arms are strong (I use 12-15 pounds for biceps) but they lack definition and with what I experienced yesterday, I'm hoping to find a way to lean them out a little. I know that part of it is genetics. But maybe, the way I work out or the type of exercises that I do don't help in this matter. I would guess that if changes are needed, it would be in biceps and triceps, right? These days, I often do MM, 4DS upper body or the GS.
Any thoughts? I'm desperate for advice!
Thanks
Nathalie

Last edited:
bulky arms

I would like advice on this also. I always have a hard time finding shirts that the sleeves fit. I love the definition I have in my shoulders but my biceps always get way too bulky and I don't work them that hard. All other body parts I work twice a week, but bi's only once. For upper body, I rotate between the 4 DS, gym style & pyramid workouts. As for tri's I never seem to see enough definition no matter how hard I work them. My arms feel solid & strong but look too thick & bulky - they lack the definition. Any advice would be great!

I have the same problem and have just shifted to using lighter weights--really light--and a lot of reps. I met an older woman in Marshall's the other day looking at fitness stuff and we got to talking. Her arms were amazing--toned and slim with well defined biceps and triceps. She said she just keeps light weights in every room in her house and as she goes from room to room just picks them up and does some reps. No DVDS, no gyms. She said she has been doing this forever. It obviously works.

It's good to know I'm not the only one with this problem.
I have been thinking for a while that I should switch to lighter weights and higher reps. I keep thinking about those marothoners who are very lean: they work more endurance than strength.
If I wish to do more endurance workouts for upper body, which Cathe workouts would fill this category (beside ME)
Nathalie

Most of Cathe's workouts are endurance with the exception of Slow & Heavy, some of 4DS and Pure Strength. I would look at Push/Pull, Supersets, Power Hour and her circuit workouts.

Marcy

I really hope Cathe gets to answer this one

I have much of the same problem. I would love to read what the expert herself would say on the subject.

Separates?

Is it possible for you to buy your business suits as separates? I used to have to buy my suits this way - a size larger for the shoulder bicep accommodation and a smaller size for the skirts and pants.

I agree on using lighter weights and higher reps. I would try power hour and muscle endurance, the latter one being the better one for endurance. If youd like to try workouts other than Cathe, Jari Love has a couple of weight videos that are full body workouts, hi rep and low weights. They are pretty good and challenging too.

I think any of Jari's are high rep/low weight but my favorite is Ripped to the Core which is all compound exercises.

Marcy

ladies i feel you on this. except i feel bulky all over. i've really pushed the heavy weights for the past year or so and i can honestly say that i have put on muscle and i'm unhappy with how thick and muscular i look. not to mention i'm not comfortable in my clothes. my body responds to heavy weights and since i love to lift heavy this is what i have been doing. i'm going to do switch to doing more cardio workouts and doing 2 endurance type of workouts per week.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.