Help! Motivation Needed!!

lynnesq2

Cathlete
Cathe: or educated crowd: Is it just me or is it difficult to stay motivated this time of year (fall/winter)? I live in Michigan and with the cold weather here, and sweaters/long coats to "hide" under, it is truly more difficult to stay motivated. I was so good in the summer b/c of tank tops, shorts, etc.
Am I the only one this happens to? Any advice/tips for staying motivated? Thanks!!
Lynne

Consider this . . .

Think about starting on next summer's beach body now rather than waiting til April and not get to where you want to be. Stay covered up with those long sweaters all you want, and then yank them all off in the spring to a gorgeous new you!

Like Nike says. . . . just do it!

Not all winter clothes have to be the type to hide under. You can wear stretch jeans and more form fitting sweaters this time of the year. Got anything like that in your closet? If not, go clothes shopping and buy yourself a gift. You can be warm in clothes that don't resemble blankets! Try that for a motivation.

Lynne, I empathize! I've been in hybernation mode recently, so you are NOT the only one this happens to! While you're hiding under your long coats and sweaters, you can be working on your "summer body", and really wow everybody when the weather is more suited to more reveiling clothes. By keeping up with regular exercise, you'll also stave off the extra pounds that many people put on over the holidays. ALso, if you are energy conscious, remember that upping your metabolism by exercising makes you feel warmer, so you could turn down the thermostat a bit!
I sometimes find that reading fitness magazines, or a good fitness book can help with fawltering (sp?) motivation. There are also some movies, like pumping iron the women--if you like the 80's bodybuilder look, that can be motivating.

As a Minnesota girl (with graying hair and most of her teeth still), it's not just you - the winter season really can play havoc on your motivation!

In addition to the excellent suggestions already given, maybe this is the time to try something really, really new in terms of exercise. Of course, that usually entails buying more Cathe tapes, but hey - that's the patriotic as well as the healthy thing to do, yes? I find that my desire to experiment increases in the fall and winter, as a way to stave off the blahs, blues and grays of the season!

Annette

I am the opposite here. I am more motivated to be thin in the winter because I find it more difficult to be comfortable in jeans than shorts. And when I have more fat on me, I find multiple layers of clothing to feel more cumbersome. When I am thinner, I don't mind putting the long johns under my pants!

I have recently lost a pound or two, maybe 3 or 4. (I don't have a scale.) So last night when I felt like eating more dinner, I tried to hang on to the "how good it feels to be lighter" feeling and how I would lose it (the good feeling) if I ate more.

So, basically, I really try and think about which is more important "feeling thinner and lighter" or "eating more". I try and stay psychologically focused.

Jeanne

Hey -- I find the same thing! Re: the jeans, that is -- I even find myself putting on my jeans every now and then during the summer -- cause they are a WAY better way to judge weight gain than the overall-shorts and sundresses I tend to wear in the summer! and as for motivation -- why not buy a slinky dress for New Year's Eve -- even if you plan on staying home! and if all else fails then think of what Kim said -- work at it steadily and you won't be panicked come April... Good Luck! Kathleen

Hi Lynne,

We're actually genetically programmed to gain a little fat for warmth & fuel in the winter. With the shorter, darker days, it's easier to lose focus on fitness & spend more time on the couch or in bed. So you do have to tell your body, "Hey, I've got a heater & plenty of warm clothing so I don't need an extra 5 pounds."

Don't sweat it. Give yourself a break, then set realistic goals for the next 2 months. To me, the holiday season in the U.S. seems to start with Halloween & run thru New Years. So you need a plan. It helps to stay in touch with your fitness buddies & not just your couch potato buddies!

P.S. Maybe you need some new tapes or workout toy, or just dust off some of the ones you neglected during the good weather?

Debra

To counteract the shorter daylength, get outside for your exercise so you can get more sunlight! I loved living in Michigan because you can cross-country ski some of the time, and with a little ingenuity, I went running in very cold weather. Just cover ears, head, and hands carefully. And here are some good things about cold: the bugs are all gone outside, no inhaling gnats or dealing with those pesky black flies and mosquitoes you guys have so many of, you never feel like you're going to get so sweaty and hot that you will feel faint and woozy! I also played a lot of racquetball and squash there, and there seemed to be a lot of indoor tracks.

Find a fun outdoor activity (run, bike, hike... so much fun in the winter) or how about going dancing! Great fun AND a great workout! :)

marnie

Thanks everyone for the great ideas!! Actually, buying more Cathe tapes is out of the question because I already own them all!! But I have to admit, there are a few that I haven't tried yet, so that is a good "winter" goal.
Just nice to know I'm not alone in this cold, dark place!!:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.