Heavy Weights Low Reps vs Light Weights High Reps?

katia7

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I've heard so many different sides to this issue, so I wanted to get your opinion on this.
To have that lean, toned, thin look vs a muscular look, is it best to do high reps with less weight or do low reps with heavy weight?
Some say that no matter what your goal is you should still lift heavy and being lean all comes from cardio and diet. Other say that to get a toned thin look you should stick to high reps low weight (along with cardio and a good diea of course).
What is your opinion on this?

Thank you!

Not Cathe, but let me tell you what I do. I kind of do a combination of both. I'll start with a lighter wieght, and do as many reps w/ good form as possible. Then do on to do another exercise for a different muscle. Then go back, and use the heaviest weight I can possibley use, and do about 6,8 or 10 reps if I'm feeling strong. I think this is more for muscle building, so I would suggest you try light weigths with higher reps and do like 1 or 2 sets for it. This will keep a nice lean and toned look. For more muscluar look, I do 3 or 4 sets of heavy wieght.

Hope this helps alittle,

~Adri;-)

I did a little of both and got good results when I did Slow & Heavy followed by CTX Upper Body as a split, 1-2 body parts per day. So I would do S&H Chest, immediatly followed by CTX Upper Body's chest section.

Hi- just thought I would throw in my two cents worth. I think a lot has to do with genetics. I've seen women in my gym year after year trying to lift heavy and they look exactly the same. Some people are just genetically incapable of building large amounts of muscle (especially women). If you are the type that can build muscle easily and have very little body fat, then higher reps would be better if you are looking to avoid that "muscular" look. I build muscle easily and love it. After losing 90 pounds, I look leaner than ever and it is because of all the muscle I have built. So, I guess it just depends on your body type-most people already have a general idea of what works for them just through trial and error!

ugh, I was looking for an answer for this because I just bought High Reps and wanted to see if this could be done 3x a week for a few weeks as my weight training along with other cardio. I switch routines every 3-4 weeks.

My goal is to lose fat and maintain and/or build some lean muscle too. I did P90x in early 2009 and gained some good muscle development...it was noticeable on my arms and back - and that was only after the first round - so 4 weeks. I think I can develop muscle pretty quick based on my experiences with this.

I want noticeable muscles, but not hulk (doubt I could do that anyway), so would some high rep work for a few weeks go against this? or should I do high reps and gym styles or slow and heavy thrown in the same week?

Good nutrition is very important too

I'm not exactly sure which method is best (perhaps Kathryn will chime in!) but I do know that, at least for me, the best and most visible results were directly connected to my eating plan. You really do need to take in plenty of protein to help those muscles grow.

For me, the heavier lifting helps to develop the muscle while the lighter lifting helps to lean me out/define the muscle more.

HTH!

Last edited:
In High Reps intro, Cathe says to do it twice per week. I've done this and on the third weight day did Heavy Weights total body (STS total Body.) I've gained strength and definition.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.