getting back into the swing of things

teach

I didn't know if I should post here or the fit pregnancy forum, please forgive me if I am in the wrong place. I had to quit exercising when I was pregnant for various reasons. I am now 9 months postpartum and having a terrible time getting back into the swing of things. I love your tapes, but they are really too hard for me right now which is so discouraging!!!!! Do you have any tips for modifying them until I build stamina up again. I am so frustrated with myself. I feel like I am in this self defeating cycle. I was so good about exercising before my baby was born. I was in the best shape of my life and now I feel like I am back to square minus one. I am a teacher and have two other kids who are teenagers. Time just isn't there. I feel like I meet myself coming and going, but I know that I have to make time for this aspect of my life or go insane. For me exercise is more than for weight control. It really helps ward of depression. I feel that black whole trying to swallow me and I am desperate to do something about it. I can't find an hour to exercise anymore. What is the minimum I can do and still improve my fitness level. I could do a little longer workouts on weekends. I was wondering if 30 minutes 3 times during the work week and two longer workouts on the weekend might bring about some progress. I have so little time. I really need some guidelines for working smart with the time I have.

Thanks!!
Paula

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Nov-03-01 AT 01:17AM (Est)[/font][p]Paula,

I perfectly understand what you are going through. If 30 minutes is all you have, then that is better than nothing. It is hard getting back into exercising, but take it slow and easy and before you know it, whatever you have been doing will become too easy. What works for me is using a rotation with videos that I enjoy and not dread doing. Everyone is different and you have people who can get in shape in 3 months and then you have people like myself who need alot more time. I have seriously been exercising for a full year now, and while I am no way near the size 6 I used to be before having my 3 little ones, I am in so much better shape physically and mentally then what I was a year ago. Just take it a day at a time, and do the best you can each day and in time, you will start seeing results. Good luck.

Hi Paula!
Congratulations on your little one! I have been thru a similar situation as you (one teenager and 2 little ones). It makes for a scheduling nightmare! It does get easier with time. I also exercise for the same reasons you do. Realizing the black hole is there is half the battle. Stay strong girl!

As for exercising, I agree about doing the things you enjoy the most - even if it's not a set rotation. I've found that having a DVD player helps tremendously. I don't have to waste time queing up a workout and it's a great way to customize that half hour. Even without a DVD player, you could do a warm-up, and 1 section of cardio and then skip to cooldown to help build your stamina. With S&H it would be really easy to do warm-up and 1 body part with stretch. I don't know if this helps and I'm sure others will have better suggestions. I just want to give my support to anyone who battles depression.

Lindy

I empathize whole heartedly with the "whole black hole." I have always cycled... and when I'm going through a bad phase it just seems like no matter what I try and do I can't get out of it.

When our daughter (our first) was 10 months old, I woke up one day and said (to my husband)... I'm working out this morning. I put in a Charlene Prickett tape (knowing I would die if I put in one of my Cathe tapes) and slogged through it. Within a month, I put in Cathe's MIC and modified it to the point where most of you who know the tape wouldn't recognize it!

I don't have any older kids to contend with, but my husband and I run our own business and even w/baby I usually put in closer to 50 hour work weeks (hubby is closer to 70 hours). Work is like having quints or something, so the baby didn't seem that bad by comparison!

My doc was trying to prescribe drugs, but I did not want to give up breastfeeding.

I have been working out over 9 months now and it is SO cool to finally be in a place where I can do the tapes. Sure... sometimes I do better than others, but I can "work" the tapes.

BUT... what scares me is I just keep hoping to find a nice level place where I can stay without having to go back to square one and go through this all again, and again, and again. I'm almost scared to feel good about where I am now, because my fear is what happens next?

So, I lurk here, and use you guys for inspiration! : )

Seriously, if you can do even 1/2 hour and do it regularly, and you will see results quicker than think you will. I tend to use the, well, I can't do a 2-hour workout to be superwoman excuse... and you do get amazing results if you can just keep going.

Take care,
Zoelda

Thanks for the advice. It's 10 o'clock and I just closed my grade quick. I don't count the hours I work in a week. I am afraid it will scare me too much. I am going to workout tomorrow first thing when my baby takes her nap. I can do this!! I've done it before! This really shouldn't be so hard. I managed then(when my other two were small.) I can manage now. I just need to set my mind to it.:) I think I just need to let myself start at a much lower level so I don't get so discouraged. Keep up the good work. I really needed to here that even a little will make some difference. Thanks for sharing.

Paula

It sounds like the CTX series would be perfect for you. Do you have it? The tapes are SHORT but very intense, and they get the job done.

Paula,

I am struggling with the same thing! I am just about 5 months postpartum and have been having a horrendous time finding the time to exercise and I miss it soooooo much! I work full time outside of my home and I have an hour and 15 minutes commute in the morning and the evening, so my day starts too early for me to workout in the mornings especially since I need to take care of the baby in the morning, too! (my hubby does help out, but I want some morning time with the baby)

Right now, Kyle is settling down for the evening between 7 and 7:30pm, so I could work out after he is in bed--however, by then I am starving as I get home at 6pm and spend all my time with him so there is no time to eat dinner. I am in the process of convincing myself that all I have to do is eat a light snack and then do at least a 30 minute workout, but for some reason I just can't seem to get myself to develop this new habit....I am developing a list of all my videos that are no longer than 30 to 45 minutes and will then develop a rotation (one that is flexible!!)...maybe this will help me see how I can manage to fit it in....instead of thinking about all this, I need to just do it! You are inspiring me to get motivated....let me know how it is going...thanks for sharing

Kellie

Hi Paula! It's very hard to get back into the swing of things and yes its all in determination. I know you have it and you will do this for yourself. I would suggest shooting for a total body workout (60 min.) on Sat. and then shooting for 45 min. of cardio on Sun. or you might prefer to work your legs on Sun. During the week you would strength train working 2 body parts (chest & shoulders) and the other day doing (tris & bis). Or if you just want to do 1 body part then you can tack on 30 min. of cardio. I'm not sure what tapes you have but look for ones that are intermediate level. I know someone mentioned Charlene Prickett. She's excellent and I would have you start there. Try using only 5 lb. dumbbells and gradually increase as this becomes too easy. As you become better and the workouts become easier shoot for a little bit longer workouts or see if you can tack on another day. Only you'll be able to judge when you can do this. Let me know what you think of this and how your progressing. Of course diet is 80% of what you do too. Otherwise all this work with be for nothing. You will see results! Good luck! Kathy

Thanks for all the good advice. I printed out the suggestions from these posts. It seems like adding weights in my routine will make the most of the time I have. I keep thinking that lifting the 20lb chunck of a baby I have should help some, but you now, it just couldn't be that easy! Thanks!!

Paula

Hi Paula! We have all been there at one time in our lives. Simply start by taking all of the pressure off of yourself and staring out very slowly. I would say to do 20 to 30 minutes three days a week for two weeks with light activities (moderate to brisk walking, light biking, etc). Just enough to break a sweat. Let your body get re-introduced to working out again rather than burn it out too soon. On your third week, make all three sessions 30 minutes and push yourself a little harder then the first two weeks. Now you are looking to sweat a bit more. On your fourth week, continue with three thirty minute sessions, but make one of them much harder than the other two and also do thirty minutes of upper body weight training on Saturday and thirty minutes of lower body weight training on Sunday. From this point on you can begin increasing the time of your weekday workouts to 45 minutes if possible (with various cardio activities) always making one or two of the three workouts very intense. The weekend workouts can remain weight training for upper and lower body but vary these workouts a bit every 4 weeks. Good Luck!

Hi Paula! We have all been there at one time in our lives. Simply start by taking all of the pressure off of yourself and staring out very slowly. I would say to do 20 to 30 minutes three days a week for two weeks with light activities (moderate to brisk walking, light biking, etc). Just enough to break a sweat. Let your body get re-introduced to working out again rather than burn it out too soon. On your third week, make all three sessions 30 minutes and push yourself a little harder then the first two weeks. Now you are looking to sweat a bit more. On your fourth week, continue with three thirty minute sessions, but make one of them much harder than the other two and also do thirty minutes of upper body weight training on Saturday and thirty minutes of lower body weight training on Sunday. From this point on you can begin increasing the time of your weekday workouts to 45 minutes if possible (with various cardio activities) always making one or two of the three workouts very intense. The weekend workouts can remain weight training for upper and lower body but vary these workouts a bit every 4 weeks. Good Luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.