forward lunge substitute

Michele S

Cathlete
Hi Cathe!

I'm just starting a PS rotation and really have a difficult time with the forward lunges. I'm fine doing the warm up with the light weights, but as soon as I try to up it a bit, my form really suffers. I have no problem with the rear and static lunges and wondered if one or the other is better to sub for the forwards.

I'm just getting myself back in shape after baby #2 and wanted to thank you for putting out such great workouts. I have had such incredible results in the past three months using CTX and PS and can't wait to incorporate all the newer DVDs in my next rotation! Keep up the great work!!!

Michele

I could never 'dream' to be Cathe, but I share your PS lunge predicament. I asked the same question a while back. The response was do whatever is most comfortable for you. My personal experience, after trying all 3 variations of lunges, has been results didn't vary by doing a different type of lunge.

Thanks! do you know...

Thanks alot for your reply. I had decided (after doing PS Legs today) that I was going to still do the warm up lunges, but then do back lunges for two sets as the static lunges were already being done for two sets.

By any chance, do you know when doing the floor work if a dumbbell can be substituted and if so, what's the proper alignment for the outer thigh work (i.e., legs still in fetal or straight). I've been doing it both ways but didn't know if one was better than the other.

Thanks again!

I would say, stick the weight with which you can keep your form. The general advice seems to be to increase your weight only if you can keep good form.
Sharon.

Lunges are the exercise that I have to work at the most. They are the hardest for me. I have the slowest improvement with lunges.

STICK WITH THEM! They will get better. But, probably not fast. At least not for me (41 year old mom). When I can't handle any other kind of lunge, I will do a static lunge. I usually have to go lighter on weight than I would for squats or pleas squats. I still don't use more than about 30 pounds with static lunges. I only use about 16 - 20 pounds if the lunge is not static. I had to start with no weight (or just a few pounds) for lunges about a year and a half ago.

It helps me to really focus on the heal of my front foot. Try to only push right through your front heal to come up. It helps me.

Dona

Hi Michele! Sometimes it also helps to lunge forward with your foot landing on an 8 inch step height as opposed to lunging forward onto the floor. It shortens the distance as well as some of the gravitational pull. Take Care!

Thanks, Cathe!

Just wanted to let everyone know that lunging onto the 8" box made a huge difference. I was able to increase my weight from the warm-up set with no problem and could have probably gone a little heavier but I wanted to check it out first.

Thanks again!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.