form question about chest work

S

susan p

Hey Cathe! I just did Step and Intervals today and loved the chest work! It was TOUGH, I ended up actually doing the two-stage pushups on an incline (hands on the step) as a modification because I was SO pre-fatigued! My question is this: while doing all those barbell chest presses I found that I was feeling it more in my TRICEPS than in my chest! "??" I thought. I tried to keep the barbell at mid-chest rather than floating farther up or down. . .

Could it just be that my triceps were pre-fatigued from doing Circuit Max yesterday? My chest wasn't, 'cause I skipped the pushups yesterday!!! (mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa, but mea glad mea didn't do 'em!! Mea's BAD!). Any hints would be appreciated.

feeling it in triceps

Susan, obviously I'm not Cathe LOL, but I just wanted to let you know the same thing happened to me when I did Step & Intervals--my triceps were feeling the chest work a lot more than my chest was! And like you, I think it may have been because I had done CircuitMax two days before and my triceps were still sore from that.

I do have to say though, that even though I was feeling the chest work a lot more in my triceps, the day after Step & Intervals, my chest was incredibly sore!! In fact, I did Kickbox that day and after THAT was over my entire upper body was screaming for mercy (but I didn't listen 'cause I did 10-10-10 the next day with all those killer tricep exercises *hehe*).

you're right

You know, the more I think about it, the more I think that the problem today WAS just being slightly sore already from CircuitMax. I've done barbell chest presses a lot in the past without having this problem. Of course I always feel it in my triceps a leetle bit, but not like I felt it today! My favorite chest/tricep stretch, btw, and one I use when I'm SUPPOSED to be doing a traditional chest stretch, is to just lay there on the step after a set of barbell chest presses, and lift my arms up over my head, gripping one wrist in the other hand, and just let my arms HANG off the top of the step above my head. Oooooooh, talk about a stretch! I REALLY feel it in my chest and triceps! Plus, of course, I don't have to sit up! HAHA!! How lazy can I be, eh?
wink.gif

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.