Form on Lat Rows

D

DanielleS

Hi Cathe,
I increased my weight yesterday on the dumbbell one arm lat rows in PS BBA. I'm wondering if I my form is incorrect because last night I was really sore in my rear delts, triceps and lats. Of course, today I still have soreness in those areas plus my biceps, but that's because I also increased my weight on the barbell curls and negative barbell curls.
Should your shoulder and triceps muscles be working along with your lats for dumbbell one arm lat rows? Do you know what I might be doing wrong? Usually I'm only sore in my lats and biceps after PS BBA.
Thanks so much for your help!
I LOVE your videos!!!

Anyone have any advice on this?

Any help or advice out there would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

My own form...

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Apr-14-00 AT 10:41AM (EST)</font></center>

Hi Danielle
happy.gif
I have to watch myself on this one too. I try to make sure to focus on where my elbow is. I keep it close to the side of my body and make sure the lift comes from there(the lower arm and hand are just extensions from where the lift comes from)..in other words the elbow goes straight up and close to the body. When I have the dumbell in the "up" position I want it to end close to the bottom of my ribcage. I notice when I slack off on paying attention...I tend to move the elbow out away from the body while lifting and that is what (I think) hits the rear delt...and I hate that on a non shoulder day
wink.gif
. You might be incorporating the tris if you ever so slightly draw your hand towards the back while lifting up. See if you are bringing your hand past your elbow while lifting(like in an tri extension)...could be it???

Just my .02...certified only in Internet Fitness Surfing
happy.gif

nancy:O)

lat row

Danielle,
Since biceps work in all pulling moves, it's normal to have some bicep involvement when doing lat rows. I can understand a bit of rear delt soreness, too. But the triceps shouldn't be very involved. You may be trying to get more range of motion by twisting a bit at the top of the move (lifting the side that is working) and that may bring in triceps more. See if it works better if you concentrate on pulling with your back muscle and not with your arm--getting more tension on the end of the movement by squeezing your back muscle rather than turning. You might try dropping down in weight for the first set, just to concentrate on form, and see if you can keep that form when going back to heavier weights. You might have stepped up to far in weights, and other muscles are helping with the work to compensate.

Thanks Nancy and Kathryn!

I will try out your tips on Monday when I do PS BBA again.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.