forearm development

jgoycoolea

Cathlete
How can I increase the size of my forearms, particularly the upper side (the side that is visible if your arms are hanging straight down by your sides)? I once read that typical bicep exercises work the forearms as much as forearm specific exercises. Do you think this is true? My forearms are definately out of proportion to my bis, tris, and delts Help!Jeanne

I have this huge book by Arnold . . . .

In addition to wrist curls he says to always use a thumbless grip on other exercises like bench presses, flies, etc. His theory is every little bit helps.

I would love some other ideas. My forearms are skinny too, despite the thumbless grip thing!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-22-01 AT 09:39PM (Est)[/font][p]Hi,
It's really weird your asking about this. I haven't even thought about my forearm's but recently (after adding Cathe's PS upper body tapes with my Firm video's I have found my forearms automatically getting muscular. I only recently pointed this out to my husband. I don't know what I'm doing really to to that, but I think when I challange myself with a little heavier weight and with the Cathe video's perhaps use an exercise at a different angle. I am no expert though....
Faythe

Maybe you are lifting heavier, and thus squeezing the bar heavier so as to have a good grip. This could perhaps help develop the forearms.

The underside of mine don't appear as skinny, but the tops sure do. I think part of my problem, too, is that I have such small bones. I can wrap my thumb and index finger around my wrist and overlap them a little--plus I have small hands!

Will try the thumbless grip more often. But only when there is no risk of dropping the bar on my head!

Any one have any opinions about the wrist curls? And I assume these would be reverse wrist curls?

I perform wrist curls in three directions, the reverse curls, the regular curls and then sometimes laterally with my forearms rotated. But this may be a big stress on someone who has wrist problems.

I use 15 pound dumbbells on the "regular" curls, the ones where my palms are facing up--I may be ready soon to move to 20's. I use 10 pound dumbbells on the "reverse" curls where my palms are facing down -- I could use 12's but I can't find any 12-pounders at a sports store.

Thanks for the feedback. I have got to start doing these. Perhaps by springtime when short sleeves will again be in full swing where I live...

How do you fit them into your work out schedule? With biceps?

Actually, I do forearms and calves every day that I have the time which comes out to about 4 times a week. I have a small workout area at home that I can bring clients to. When I have a few minutes or when there is something on TV I've just gotta see, I'll sit there and do forearms and calves by themselves. Or I'll add them in at the end of any workout, not just arms. Just so I get them done is what matters, I guess.

You know, I actually was thinking that maybe I should just do them at night when I watch tv. Hmm...hope it doesn't make me sweat. My 75 minutes in the morning is already mapped out. I wonder if I should do them often--because they are lagging, or if I should just do them once a week and give them rest to grow? I'm thinking often as of now. If that doesn't work maybe then I'll switch to less often. Thanks again! Jeanne

I've heard that since calves and forearms are mainly for endurance (lots of slow twitch fibers), that it's okay to do them every day if you want.

But calves have to have fast-twitch fibers too so that you can jump high.

I guess we'll both have to use a little trial and error and see what works best!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.