fitness over 50

DonnaK

Hi, Cathe and Cathe fans,
I'm relatively new to Cathe tapes, but have been working out consistently with weights/barbells for about 8 yrs. I have just turned 50 (yikes!) and am having trouble locating any information related to the aging process and weight lifting/cardio training, etc. Most of the information I have seen relates to women whoi have just begun to exercise or lift weights, and I've been doing this for a while. Any suggestions? References??? Thanks for your help and any thoughts you might have. I am especially interested in learning about possible changes I may need to make in the future.

Hi, DonnaK! At the risk of sounding like a shrike, IMHO you have more to TEACH about fitness at 50 than you have to learn about it! :) IMHO, far too much of the literature that is directed toward the 50-and-over crowd, as you've noted, presumes that they are unfit and unskilled at exercise, whereas you are anything but. Also IMHO, what is far too often attributed to the "aging process" is actually the longer-term accumulated consequences of overly sedentary living.

Those are just my thoughts on the matter; I predict you won't find that much gratifying literature. BUT, as noted earlier, we do have many 50-and-overers here on the Cathe forums, and they kick butt - harder and harder each year!

Annette Q. Aquajock

As an over 50 exerciser here, I second everything that Aquajock said.
[font color=green]BETSY[/font]

Yes, Annette said it well. (This coming from a "50" year old!) Just pop in here whenever you can and you will learn a wealth of information. Age does NOT dictate what level or degree you should workout. Your past does. Sounds to me like you have kept yourself healthy, strong and young! Nice to meet you, Donna!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.