Finding time to workout?

UNLVCrjChick

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I haven't posted here in awhile because I now have a job and I go to law school as well.

My question is: how can I possibly find the time to workout? I work from 8-2 usually, I get home around 2:30 or so, I eat lunch, and then I study until I have to leave for school at 5:10 pm. I'm in school from 6-9 pm most nights. By the time I get home, I am so exhausted that I haven't worked out regularly for approximately 3 months now. So I definitely know that my aerobic capacity and my strength have seriously diminished (not that I had much of either of those in the 1st place, seeing as how I weigh over 230 lbs). Could you please advise me as to how to go about making fitness a part of my life again? I really do want to exercise, but I am literally walking around like a zombie have the time because I'm always tired (I'm only 23, but I feel like 60---no offense to anyone here who happens to be 60).

Please help! ;(

Sherry

Hi Sherry,

how about getting up an hour earlier and working out. That's what I do and I love it.

Have a great day
Kristine

Sherry, obviously I'm not Cathe, but I'd like to offer my little Point-Two-Oh . . .

Given your significant time and intellectual demands, IMHO what might work best for you is to shoot for little ten- or 15-minute nuggets, doing what you can when you can. See if you can budget in a 10-15 minute mini-session in the morning before you leave for work, and another 10-15 minute study break in the afternoon (preferably before you eat a meal). I don't know what your Cathe Collection consists of, but consider pulling in a few cardio-oriented premixes that you can do for these brief times. Also consider using the CTX upper body splits for a week-long rotation that bangs all the major muscle groups by the end of the week (understanding that Leaner Legs might need to be shortened.

Although I don't have nearly the time demands that you have, what I've been doing the past few months or so, four mornings a week, is a little 10-minute puff before each workday begins at my office, to get in resistance work with lighter weights. I'm reprinting my schedule here:

TUES.:
Push-ups:
Pec flyes: 16 (Chest)
Supine triceps extensions back 16 (Triceps)
Supine overhead pullovers 16 (Back)
Seated rear delt flyes palms back 16 (Shoulders)
Seated overhead presses 16 (Shoulders)
Standing biceps curls palms up 16 + hold 10 (Biceps)

WED.:
Push-ups: 32
Bench presses: 16 (Chest)
Triceps dips off chair 24 (Triceps)
Standing back presses palms in 16 (Back)
Seated rear delt flyes palms in 16 (Shoulders)
Seated overhead presses 16 (Shoulders)
Standing hammer curls 16 (Biceps)

THURS:

Squats 16
Plie Squats 16
Weighted Step-ups: 20 each leg

Pec flyes: 16 (Chest)
Supine triceps extensions w/ turn 16 (Triceps)
Standing back presses palms UP 16 (Back)
Middle delt raises 16 (Shoulders)
Overhead presses 16 (Shoulders)
Standard curls 16+hold (Biceps)

FRI.:
Bench presses: 16 (Chest)
Kickbacks 16 each (Triceps)
Seated back rows 45-deg. incline 16 (Back)
Seated ant. Delt raises, palms down 16 (Shoulders)
Overhead presses palms out 16 (Shoulders)
Hammer curls 16 (Biceps)

Again, do what you can when you can. Little bitty increments here and there can make an enormous difference, especially with resistance work ESPECIALLY leg work, not only for your muscle conditioning but also for your energy level.

HTH. I hope others can offer their sage counsel as well. good luck -

A-JOck

i get up earlier in the morning to workout... that way "things" don't get in the way after work.. as you know they will! the only thing i have to do in the morning is get ready for work.. but i get up early to compensate... so that i can workout!

Sherry, if you would be able to post here your current Cathe collection, I'm sure you'd get some great suggestions as to how to maximize your schedule.

CTX and TimeSaver would be perfect for you at this point.

A-Jock

Aquajock gave you great advice. I can only follow with this...

If you could fit in just 20 minutes in the morning to workout - perhaps a short cardio or doing upper body weight work. Then perhaps on your break at work, take a brisk walk. In the evenings, squeeze in another 20 minutes.

Even if you can only find the time to do *one* of the above, at least it's doing something. I find that even if I can't fit in a total workout, if I've done a portion of a workout, I feel motivated to continue the next day without feeling like I've failed myself somehow.

You have a lot on your plate with a job and school. Allow yourself to be flexible in your workouts.

-Diane

When I went to nursing school & worked anywhere from 26 to 40 hours a week I would do my cardio during the week on either the treadmill or an elliptical everyday. I also had a magazine rack that I put on so I can study my notes while I got my cardio in. On Saturday I would wt train lower body thoroughly and Sunday I would do upper body thoroughly. That got me through school without me getting out of shape.

Was it a blast & would I prefer it that way. NO. But I accomplished several things & I was satisfied. I stayed in shape. I had a little block of time of my own where I could study without being bothered. And most of all, I knew I could not make excuses so I learned about time management, (very important in my field.) I also kept notes with me so & could squeeze in a few minutes study time whenever the opportunity arose. That way when I took time to workout, I didn't feel guilty that I wasn't on my bed propped up studying instead of working out or whatever.

You'll be graduated before you know it. Then, when your schedule is really erratic, you can think of other ways to prioritize & get your workouts in accordingly. Good luck.

Smoogy

You have already had some good suggestions. When my daughter was going to med school. She would do her recumbant bike with a bookrack so she could study while putting in some cardio. Maybe you could do something like this and add in some weights on your days off. She managed to stay in shape and be there for her two daughters all through school. Also she did work in a doctors office through part of her schooling.
Diane Sue

Hey Sherry: You are a very busy lady who sounds frustrated and tired (sorry if my assumption is incorrect), your statement that you are 23 but feel like 60 is very telling and something you obviously desire to change. The suggestions of Timesaver and CTX make perfect sense, these workouts are relatively short and extremely efficient. If you can't manage 45 - 60 mins. at one run perhaps you could split them and do the cardio at one session and the weights in a later session (with a warm up of course) on the same day.
I am a widowed Mom of 3 and went back to school full time for 3 years in 2000 (Kids were 11, 9 and 6) and worked after school tutoring. I had 8:00 a.m. classes 3 or 4 days a week and clinic until 7:00 p.m. on two of those days and no family in town to help me pick up the slack with the Children (not complaining or castigating, just setting the scene). I have come to know ABSOLUTELY that by spending energy exercising I ultimately accummulate more energy to spend however I choose and endorphins eat up stress hormones like pac man. When working out isn't part of your day to day it seems impossible to fit it in but when it is a part of your day it isn't about 'fitting it in' it is just simply a part of the day. On countless mornings I got up around 5:30 to workout before early classes, I didn't think too much about it, I just did it and never once regretted missing that hour's sleep. In my workout area I hung anatomy posters and various, ever changing cue cards on the walls to contemplate as I sweated it out.
There is no easy answer as to how to fit it in and a 26 hour day unfortunately isn't going to happen:). You obviously want to incorporate fitness back into your life and asking on this forum is a great step forward. You deserve to feel better and I hope that happens soon for you!!! Let us know how thing are going, we're are here cheering you on!!

Take Care
Laurie:)

How about one CTX weights section each morning, as already suggested (ie 10 mins before work), then as well as brisk walking at lunchtimes, you could do more intense cardio sessions Saturday and Sunday mornings, making one of them interval (eg CTX step and intervals).

You could make one of your weekend workout a weights plus cardio circuit so that your muscles are worked twice over the week, eg cardio and weights tape, body fusion, high step.

Sharon

All great suggestions here. I can tell you what I did in grad school--I got a job at a gym. I opened & worked from 5-9 am every morning. OK yeah I was a little tired & this is not recommended for the faint of heart. But after the morning rush I could work out (it was a small enough place) or study.

Now I work from 8:30-whenever M-F (some nights I'm here til midnight, most nights til around 7). So I get up early twice a week to do cardio before work, & go to the gym one night a week for lifting. The rest (2 more cardio workouts & 2 more lifting workouts) is combined & done on the w/e. In all honesty it took me years to get into a regular routine that my schedule would allow. You have to play w/your time, mix & match until you come up w/what works for you.

In addition to your hectic schedule, I think you are tired because you aren't working out. I would start squeezing in small segments of workouts where you can: 20 min. in the morning, 30 min walk in the afternoon or evening. Not only will it surpress your appetite, your metabolism will get a boost. If you are eating cleanly (junk food poops you out too) I think you will see a big difference pretty quickly.

Good luck. Keep us posted of your progress.
Shopgirl :)

I don't have a great answer for you, but working out is definitley going to give you an energy boost. When I was in grad school and working full time, it was really hard to find the time. I basically was only able to do full workouts on the weekends. I tried to walk alot (park far away from places) and I ALWAYS took the stairs (I worked on the 7th floor). I would squeeze in a workout whenever possible, often by using that as a way to take a break from studying. Now, I have a question for all of you that workout in the am. How do you do it? I have tried several times, but my body just isn't willing to go in the morning. I have to be to work at 7:30, so I get up at 6am. ON weekends I tend to workout in the am, but it's after I've been up and have breakfast and lounge for a few minutes. How can I gather enough energy to get in an hour workout without having to get up at 4am???!!! any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
FEebs

Hi Sherry,

You have got quite a lot of good advice on workout times. I just wanted to add that I know for myself eating in regular intervals is so important to having enough energy to workout. The only reason I mention this is in your post you mention eating lunch at 2:30. You probably are already doing this but having a healthy snack/small meal in your work time may help.

You have accomplished so much with work & law school that is GREAT! You will get your workout time figured out.

Kara

I like the idea of getting in it first thing in the day. Years ago it was my only option, but now that I can choose, I still love the early morning. It gives me a feeling of accomplishment that stays with me all day and alleviates the question of whether or not I will workout, one that can make me kooky if I let it! Besides, it's all too easy to skip it later when the day is busy or I am pooped. I always kick myself if I don't get it done. It bears mentioning that I am a morning person! :) One thing is certain, if you prioritize exercise, the rewards will be many and I wish you great good luck!
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

- Mary Oliver

Hi Sherry,
I feel for you. My schedule isn't as hectic as yours but I'm in nursing school and work part-time. I know the last thing you feel like doing is working out especially when it's not part of your regular schedule. Try to work in any exercise. I ride my bike to the hospital I'm at. I walk my dog a lot. Even if you just do a quickie weight video once or twice a week and maybe 2 or 3 20-min cardios, it's better than nothing. Take a quick jog before your shower so then you can get in a workout and shower within 45 mins. Also, try to eat healthy. I know when I'm tired or busy, I just grab fast food which makes the problem worse. Keep an eating journal.

Don't get too worried about it though. One day, you'll be done school and have a regular schedule so you can workout all you want. You're young and have time!

Good luck

Sherry, you've gotten so much great advice.

I can add a vote for the small bits of exercise all through the day. First of all, it'll be easier to fit in to such a hectic schedule as yours; second, by doing a little something here and there, it'll keep you active and that will make it easier to get even more active and keep your metabolism and energy levels up.

Getting up a little earlier to workout is good, too, but you must have enough rest at night, so get in the sleep you need.

Best of luck to you in law school and congratulations on getting in, too!! And keep us posted, Sherry, on your progress!!!

Wow, what a blast from the past! This is the first time I've posted on here in YEARS, but it's amazing to see how far I've come. I now weigh 155 lbs and am in the best shape of my life. I finally started working out again regularly about 9 months ago and am so glad I did. Sadly I didn't follow through with my workout goals through law school like this post implies but I'm glad I did now as a working attorney.

Not that anyone who posted here would read this, but, thank you all for your suggestions/encouragement.

Hi Cathe,

I haven't posted here in awhile because I now have a job and I go to law school as well.

My question is: how can I possibly find the time to workout? I work from 8-2 usually, I get home around 2:30 or so, I eat lunch, and then I study until I have to leave for school at 5:10 pm. I'm in school from 6-9 pm most nights. By the time I get home, I am so exhausted that I haven't worked out regularly for approximately 3 months now. So I definitely know that my aerobic capacity and my strength have seriously diminished (not that I had much of either of those in the 1st place, seeing as how I weigh over 230 lbs). Could you please advise me as to how to go about making fitness a part of my life again? I really do want to exercise, but I am literally walking around like a zombie have the time because I'm always tired (I'm only 23, but I feel like 60---no offense to anyone here who happens to be 60).

Please help! ;(

Sherry

Hi Sherry,

I've been through the same thing myself (with graduate school, work and 2 babies) and if I hadn't kept working out, the stress and the feeling of being overwhelmed would have overpowered me and I don't think I would have made it! Sounds like you are having the same experience.

AquaJock has "hit the nail on the head", so to speak. The way to handle this is to take a couple of short, intense excercise breaks. I recommend one before work, one right after you get home, (before lunch and your study session) and one in the middle of your long study session. I used to find myself getting very groggy and losing concentration when I would study for hours on end, and the best way to perk back up and regain focus was NOT to get a snack (as I was tempted to do!) but to get up and do 10-15 minutes of cardio!!! Works beautifully!!!! It saved my career!

You will find that you have more energy, more focus, feel calmer more in control of your hectic life. Please, please try this.

Good luck to you, I truly understand and feel for you. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Hi Laura,

Oh I was just commenting on my post from years ago. I am no longer in law school, am an attorney, and I work out 6 days per week. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.