A few questions on MIS

V

VLEstrange

Dear Cathe,

Hi, I just got MIS and tried it for the first time. Great tape!! I have a few questions though. I have your PS series, and do them faithfully once a week each. I also have Bodymax - not so faithfully. (Boy, it's a touph one). When I do body max I always have to lighten my weights as opposed to the ps series tapes ( I can go heavier, especially on legs). I always assumed that this was because I was so wiped out from the aerobics segment, but I had to lighten on MIS too. (Especially those crazy 8's!!!!) Why is this, and is it normal? Also at the beginning of the tape there is a "blurb" that because this is a strength workout we should also do cardio. PLEASE, tell me that you me on a different day but in conjunction with the strength tape!!! One last question, would I get leaner doing the PS series once a week plus one total body MIS day, or would it be better to do say and 8 week rotation of MIS and then switch to 8 weeks of PS. Sorry this is so long, thanks for any help you can give me. By the way, how big is Erik (Eric?) now? Isn't AMAZING how fast they grow!!

Vickie

Hi Vickie!

I just finished reading your bio and wanted to let you know that I live in Ohio! Maybe when you get to Cincy, we can plan to meet up sometime. I am in the Akron/Canton area, but possibly we could do a roadtrip some weekend and meet partway??!! Hey, I'm also with you on those "Crazy 8's! Whew,they are tough!

Try this.

I'm not Cathe but you may want to try this if you have the time. Do each PS tape once per week and for the remaining two days do each half of MIS. Do about 20 minutes of intense aerobics in addition to this. This means that you do weights and aerobics five days a week. This will give you great results if you are up to it and have the time. It is the rotation I try to do, but I often have to compromise because of time constraints.

Hi Vickie!

Enjoy MIS. It is a nice compliment to the PS series.

As for your first question, the general rule of thumb is that the slower the rep speed, the heavier the weight you can safely lift with good form. The faster the rep speed, the lighter you will have to lift in order to maintain good form. If your weight is too heavy for the rep speed that you are doing, your form will not only suffer but you will also encourage the use of momentum by swinging your weight up to complete the rep set in time. Poor form and momentum could lead to poor posture and injuries.

What I was referring to with my cardio comment was that you should incorporate cardio on a weekly basis with your strength workouts. While there is nothing wrong with doing both on the same day if you can physically handle it and/or if you can find the time, that is not at all expected.

As far as which rotation would make you leaner goes, you will have to experiment with both ways to see which way your body responds most favorably too. For example, I know some people who get leaner by increasing their lifting weight which establishes more lean muscle mass(which boosts their metabolism), while others just lift with lighter weight finding that their bodies/joints do better without heavy weight. Then there are some who prefer to lift heavy because lifting too light does not bring out the definition the way that they would like, while others find that lifting too heavy adds too much bulk to their bodies. Just some examples to show you how everyone responds differently. Hope this helps. Happy experimenting
happy.gif
!

Hi Debbie!!

WOW, a built in friend already. Getting together actually sounds great, and a have a very good friend that lives in the Akron/Canton area already so I will definately be going there a lot.

Vickie

Thanks for the tips

Dear Cathe and Jane,

Thanks so much for all of the tips. I may try the 5 days of weights and cardio ( a lot depends on my son's nap schedule, and at 21 mo. he is beginning to fight them).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.