Feeling chest exercises

LaBelleRebelle

I was doing Power Hour this morning, and every muscle in my body aches except for my chest. There I feel no difference.

What am I doing wrong? I was noticing this morning (using a 20 lb barbell) that I feel bench presses mostly in my arms. I try to put my hands slightly more than shoulder width apart, and push directly above my ribcage. But I just don't feel it in the chest. I also try to do flyes from MIS like I'm hugging a tree, but I feel it mostly in my upper arms and shoulders.

Whenever I do the chest flyes from the FIRM Vol. 1, I practically can't move the next day, I'm so sore. The onlydifference between the two is that with the FIRM, I'm lying flat on the floor and touching my elbows to the floor when they go outwards. Should I do my chest work from Power Hour and MIS on the floor, too?

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-21-01 AT 04:07PM (Est)[/font][p]I don't believe it! Every time I have a question, someone else asks the same one before I post it. I think that's really weird, and really great! I have the same problem doing S&H chest and back. I did it yesterday and boy my back feels it, and sides! The core work nearly killed me, but the chest work as I was doing it really didn't feel like my chest working, more my arms and shoulders.
*I need to mention, I do feel the ache in my chest today...but I didn't when I was doing the exercises and I felt it more in my arms, under my arms and shoulders. (I used 12's and 15#'s).
Faythe

Hi, all! I'm not sure which tape Cathe says it on, but she says when you are doing chest presses or flyes on the bench, don't drop your arms below parallel to the floor, because if you do, your shoulders are doing most of the work. That's probably why you feel it in your chest in Volume1, since you're lying on the floor, your arms can't go below parallel. Try this, it really works!:7

I totally agree with firmbogie... if you keep your arms at or just above bench height, you *should* be utilizing more pec muscles than delts. S/H always leaves my chest tight the next day. I love S/H! I can't believe how defined my pecs have become. Oh and I've read Cathe's posts on this: just because you aren't sore the next day doesn't mean you didn't work hard enough, or that you did the move wrong. Pushups & flies are still working your chest muscles... pay attention to where your arms go with regard to your bench height

marnie

Labelle....
I know what you are talking about. Chest presses, like bench-style rarely make me very sore, but flies, done right, really do the trick. When I do Firm Upper Body they have that part where they tell you to pulse, very low, at the heavy weight, and this is VERY effective at really maxing out my chest muscles. But I find that it is a very limited range of motion that my chest is involved. I really feel it at the very bottom and the very top when my dumbells come together. Also make sure when you do the flies that your dumbells are not directly over you but more over and in front of your chest..if you know what i mean. I think bench is a good power exercise but not as good as flies for sculpting and really isolating the pecs...Just my opinion. Hey, maybe you are just too fit!! Slack off for a few workouts and you will REALLY feel it!!!:):)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.