Fast Twitch Muscles

vonnie

Hello Cathe,
Can you tell me how to develop more Fast Twitch Muscles.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!
And have a wonderful day.
Vonnie

I am not Cathe but I am a personal trainer and can help you out. Fast twitch fibers are developed during anaerobic workouts. This can be weight training or all out sprint type activities. It depends what your goals are. Everyone is genetically different when it comes to their muscle fiber composition. For example, Olympic athletes that do endurance type activities are genetically gifted with a high percentage of slow twitch muscle fibers. While you cannot convert one type of fiber to the other, you can train your body so that slow twitch benaves more like fast twitch or vice versa. I am curious to know what your goals are in regards to your training. Please respond with more info.

Best wishes, Cyndie

>I am not Cathe but I
>am a personal trainer and
>can help you out.
>Fast twitch fibers are developed
>during anaerobic workouts. This
>can be weight training or
>all out sprint type activities.
> It depends what your
>goals are. Everyone is
>genetically different when it comes
>to their muscle fiber composition.
> For example, Olympic athletes
>that do endurance type activities
>are genetically gifted with a
>high percentage of slow twitch
>muscle fibers. While you
>cannot convert one type of
>fiber to the other, you
>can train your body so
>that slow twitch benaves more
>like fast twitch or vice
>versa. I am curious
>to know what your goals
>are in regards to your
>training. Please respond with
>more info.
>
>Best wishes, Cyndie

Hi Cyndie,
Thanks for your reply.
It is very helpful.As far as goals I would like to increase my
speed when I run.And from what I have read about muscles and fibers.Faster runners seem to have more fast twitch muscles.
So I want to see what I can do to increase my speed.
And another goal I have is to have better endurance as well
better tone in my body.
Please feel free to let me know what ideas your are.
I have all of Cathe's max tapes and the ps series.
Thank-You for your response.
And its so kool that your a personel trainer.
Best Regards,
Vonnie

Hi, Vonnie! I'm not Cathe, but . . .

You may want to explore plyometric training if you want to improve your power performance and running. Try Dr. Donald Chu's book and video, "Jumping Into Plyometrics", which is very highly regarded. You can get it through Human Kinetics (www.humankinetics.com). I have it, and am starting to mentally form some training protocols for myself to experiment with some day.

Good luck!

Annette

Thanks Annette!!!!!!!!
What a great website I bookmarked it
and will order that for sure.
Thanks Again,
Vonnie

If you want to improve your speed, the absolute best thing to do is interval training. Run moderately for three to five minutes interspersed with two to three minutes of intense bursts. You want to try to increase your anaerobic threshold. This means that you should train intensely enough to feel an ever so slight burn in the working muscles but still able to continue. Over time you will be able to exercise at higher intensities before the burn occurs. Interval training is intense though and should not be done more than twice per week. The flip side of any exercise program is adequate recovery so the muscles can repair and gain improvements. Exercise itself actually breaks down muscle tissue. Quality rest is essential for fitness gains. Good luck with your training.

Best wishes, Cyndie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.