Exercising safely with a bulging disk

Jewel422

Hi Cathe,
3 months ago I found out i had a bulging disk in my lower spine when i went to the doctor for terrible back pain... I've been going to the chiropractor and she got me stable enough to go back to my normal routine. However, there's certain exercises i have to modify in order to not aggrivate my lower back...I have discomfort after doing almost all leg exercies because of the weight i need to train with to gain muscle mass and make my workout worth my time....i was thinking about investing in a weighted vest so that i can use a lighter barbell...what are your thoughts on this? Will i beable to gain muscle from using a weighted vest? I know it's probally safer than using a heavy barbell but is it as effective? I also train with a weight lifting belt so that i have more back support, which is what the doctor recommended.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Diana

Hey, I'm not Cathe, but I, too have a bulging disk problem and didn't figure out until just last week what was making my workouts cause me flare ups. Like you I am now using a lumbar support belt, am doing lighter weights for legs for the time being and avoiding any movements that make me bend and twist at the same time. I found a chiropractor online that has developed a program to actually guide people with herniated and/or bulging disks to heal fully from this rather than just find ways to manage the pain and bring down the inflammation. I'm not doing any high impact at all for the time being and have added some exercises and stretches that are supposed to bring healing over time. I find it extremely frustrating to have to work out with so much caution and modification, but it beats the past year or so of me trying to get well enough to work out and then cause flare ups because of not giving my body the time to heal. This is a long term journey to say the least, but having found this information has also given me new hope and motivation to get going on this journey, even if it means lightening up on weights and impact for a fairly long time, although in the big picture it's not that long.
I would be happy to share some of the details if you pm me. my bulging disk is in the lower back, where is yours? There are different stretches and exercises depending on the location of the bulging disk, and there are also supplements to help the healing as well. Good luck on your journey to get your well being back!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.