The dreaded muffin top

jennifermaria

Cathlete
Hi Cathe!

I'd love to get your thoughts on something I've long struggled with... For as long as I can remember, my midsection has been my most frustrating body part. Even at my fittest and leanest, you can be sure that my midsection will still be the part of my body where, if you focus on it, you'd swear I wasn't working out LOL.

I've managed to get some improvement over time, thanks to a good balance of cardio, weights, and (mostly) clean eating. I've also made sure to consistently incorporate a lot of ab/core work (pilates, planks, traditional abs and lower back work, etc.), especially since I started running and this became crucial as the distances got longer. And while I've managed to "flatten" my abs--I put this in quotes because, thanks to my genetics, I'll probably never get it truly fat without going to extremes in my lifestyle, so I'm willing to live with it being 90% there--I've still got this pesky muffin top!

I'm not really sure how to address them--whether there are even muscles there that can be worked on so that my skin isn't hanging over flab--but I would love to work on them to get them looking a little better. I'm being realistic about it: I'm not expecting them to go away completely (unless my genetic make-up allows that, which would be nice :p), but I would like to make some improvements there, so to the extent that there are tips and tricks that work better than others to minimize that area, that would be awesome.

Any suggestions for me? :)

Thanks in advance!!!

Jennifer

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.