Does too much cardio really cause muscle loss?

kimroberts

Cathlete
I LOVE your step tapes and frequently recommend them to my clients to use when they can't make it to the gym. Your combos have come to my rescue many days when my brain is fried! Keep up the good work.

Last year, I got into competitive, all-natural bodybuilding. In most of the articles I've read, bodybuilders do comparatively little cardio work. I teach anywhere from 5-10 1-hr cardio classes per week of different types. Then when I have private clients, I'll walk moderately on the treadmill beside them or walk outdoors with them, etc. Plus, I'm trying to train for a possible marathon run next spring. But I definitely don't want to catabolize my hard-earned muscle. Does too much cardio really eat your muscles?

Also, I would love to hear your opinion on high intensity/short duration cardio vs. lower intensity/long duration cardio as related to fat loss.

I recall Cathe posting that when she was filming the PS series and she was trying to add muscle mass, her trainer (?) Pat told her that she'd have trouble increasing mass because of all the cardio Cathe did. I believe Cathe did cut down on her cardio.

I'm sure Cathe will clear things up.

I think you have gotten everybody curious now. I am trying to build my muscles and have finally gotten my arms to look toned with 3 days of weight training a week. I don't want to jeopordize all of that work with too much cardio. I do 5 days of cardio. Amy Jo

I couldn't find your post at Vitasvibe, Kim. Can you give any more help?

Me either...

I registered and looked for the post, but couldn't find it.
Erica

RE: Me either...

It's still there, just moved down a bit. Here's how you get there:

www.vitasvibe.com
Click on: Aerobics Forum
Click on: What about this/what about that?
Then you'll have to go to page 2 of the posts.
It's near the top of page 2.

Kim

Thanks Kim!

I found it. I'm still a little confused, though.
Is too much cardio only bad for muscle growth if you are restricting calories or not getting proper nutrition? If you are eating enough and the right kinds of foods, can you still do a lot of cardio without hurting your strength training results?
Erica

RE: Me either...

Just found this post and I would really like to here what Cathe has to say. Not sure if she is back from holidays?

Thank you in advance.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Aug-18-01 AT 08:02PM (Est)[/font][p]sorry--posted this article in the wrong place. I thought it would go down to the bottom of the queue, but it didn't. I reposted it down there.

sorry, posted in wrong place (klutz)

Just wanted to pass on this controversial article I previously found on this topic:
Is Aerobic Training Really Necessary For Fat Loss?

Weight training builds muscle. Aerobic activity burns fat. Most authorities agree. Much of the research concurs. I believed it too. There's just one little problem - I haven't seen reality coincide with the research. In my experience, aerobic activity is not an effective way to burn fat. In fact, I would say aerobics aren't good for much of anything.
Your mouth is dropping open. You can't believe what you're reading - but you are compelled to read on.

Let me first say that if you engage in a sport where endurance is a factor, some aerobic training will of course be necessary. But if you're interested in losing weight, becoming more muscular, or achieving a more defined physique, doing aerobics will only make you better at doing aerobics.

Ever Seen A Fat Aerobics Instructor?
I have. Plenty of them. They may be in terrific cardiovascular condition but they're still overweight.

Aerobic activity will burn some fat for a while. But soon your body adapts. Once you're capable of performing an activity more efficiently, there's less reason for the body to change. This is why people often get results when they begin an exercise regimen (any exercise regimen) but that progress eventually comes to a halt. At this point, either intensity or duration must be increased in order to spark further improvements.
You can increase intensity by increasing resistance, which is essentially weight training. But what if your duration is increased? Does your body then burn fat the same way it did when the aerobic program was new?

No. Once the body is stressed for more than an hour, the body runs out of carbohydrate stores - it's preferred form of fuel - and begins to release cortisol. Cortisol breaks down muscle. At this point, you may think, "Now I'm burning fat." Think again. Once the body is put into a stressful environment, all it wants to do is survive and will do everything that millions of years of evolution have taught it to do in order to achieve that goal.

It will burn muscle.

Follow me. It takes four calories of energy to burn a gram of carbohydrate and four calories of energy to burn a gram of protein. But it takes nine calories of energy to burn a gram of fat. If the body receives the message, "keep going at all cost," - which is what you're telling it when training aerobically - it's going to conserve energy (calories) by reserving fat. Your body will use some fat to keep you going, but you'll be losing muscle at the same time. This is why runners tend to have stringy muscles. They've conditioned their bodies to void muscle growth in an effort to do what they're being commanded to do - run long distances.

People assume marathon runners are in great shape, when the reality is they've simply built up a tolerance to a damaging activity. It's like the guy who can drink and smoke all day and still feel fine. It doesn't mean he's healthy. He's just used to it. Yet, running the marathon has become a revered and exalted testament to athleticism. Incidentally, the origin of the marathon dates back to ancient Greece when a soldier by the name of Phidippides ran 26 miles to notify the Emperor that the Greek army was victorious in their battle against the Persians. He then dropped dead. There's a lesson to be learned somewhere in that story.

Here are a few more reasons why I've shunned aerobic exercise:
Here are a few more reasons why I've shunned aerobic exercise:

Aerobic activity is catabolic - the increased oxygen intake leads to increased free radical damage.

Pounding your limbs onto a hard surface is extremely stressing to the knees, ankles and lower back.

The common practice of running along city streets promotes the excessive ingestion of pollutants such as carbon dioxide.

Doesn't sound too healthy, does it?

More Muscle = Less Fat

Aerobic activity doesn't put enough stress on the muscles to encourage them to grow. Even if more muscle isn't your objective, a higher muscle-to-fat ratio will allow the body to burn fat more effectively all day long. Hence, more muscle is the key to less fat. Weight training can be used to increase cardiovascular conditioning, burn fat and build muscle.
I used to do aerobics, but no more. I don't recommend them for my clients, either. Since I've stopped, I'm amazed at how much more energy I have. Aerobic training was causing me to severely overtrain. Whenever someone asks me what I do "for my heart," I tell them this: "You want an elevated heart rate? Try a few sets of 20-rep squats and then get back to me!"

Although it may take a while before the mainstream catches up to these realities, it should be noted that more and more exercise experts are seeing the light. Strength coach Charles Poliquin, after coming to the conclusion that aerobics saps strength, no longer recommends aerobic activity to his clients. Sports trainer and powerlifting champion Ian King is also an advocate of the non-aerobic method of conditioning because he feels the energy expended can be more effectively applied elsewhere. " rubbish," says King. "Cut the time between sets and you'll get all the cardio you need."

You can find plenty of information to support and refute the need for aerobic exercise. But the real test is what works for you. For one month, try increasing your rep range and decreasing your rest between sets. Maintain a proper diet, staying conscious of avoiding starches and sugars. Do no aerobics. Check your body fat regularly and see if you get the results you're looking for.

RE: sorry, posted in wrong place (klutz)

Hello Supplementalsecurity,

I found your post here very interesting. I mean no disrespect to you or anyone else, but isn't it funny how scientific research proves one thing, then a few years later, newer research proves the old research "wrong"?

I mean remember the old 'to lose weight long duration, low intensity exercise is the only way to go!', now researchers are saying intensity doesn't matter, but calories burned is what you want to keep an eye on, so go ahead and do those high intensity workouts if you can.

And remember the carbs, carbs and only carbs push in the early 90's! High carb low fat is the only way to go. I tried the high carb, low fat snacks that were being pushed and this is one that did not work for me. I would reach for a high carb, low fat snack at about 3pm in my day, and by 3:30 I was so tired. The carbs did nothing for me until I started adding a little protein with it...then I got my mid day boost and fuel for my after work workout.

I guess what all this research is really saying is that no one pill works for everybody. :0-)

DeeDee

RE: sorry, posted in wrong place (klutz)

I read your post earlier this week and had to chew on it awhile before I answered. It certainly is an appropriate answer to the does cardio hurt muscle gains. However for me I don't think I would ever be happy doing just lifting. I exercise because I enjoy it. But I enjoy a whole variety of things from aerobics, weight lifting, swimming, running, cycling, ect. If I just did weight lifting I would get bored, and then I probably would not exercise. By rotating around the things I do, I keep my interest high, and my body surprised. So if studies start to come out stating that the best way to lose weight is only weight lifting, then I will probably ignore it and continue combining cardio with weights. It keeps my heart happy, my body happy and my mind happy.

Dorothy

Cardiovascular Trainng

Fat aerobics instructors are probably those who eat like crazy.

Cardio is just as necessary as weight training.

Neither one can be sacrificed for the other.

I just saw an ESPN show of a strong man contest. FAT MEN WITH GUTS! They looked like a bunch of Baby Hueys.

Cardiovascular training in and of itself is not the answer.

Ditto weight training.

Cardio makes for a healthy heart and efficient lungs.

Weight training develops beautiful muscular definition and muscle that burns calories 24/7.

And the other piece of the fitness equation is stretching both in warm-up and cool down.

But to say cardio training is useless and destructive is just a bunch of hype. Cardio is the ONLY way I can maintain my weight. Muscle training is the ONLY way I can maintain my shape. BTW, anybody who would say that Cathe's "Cardio Kicks" does not develop muscle is not thinking very hard. And other cardio videos keep my legs in shape.

Too much weight training equals BULK!

Amy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.