does it matter?

hockeymom

okay-is one better than the other?? is it better to alternate upper and lower body exercises or do all upper then all lower?
sometimes i think too much information is not a good thing!! i'm just starting back and feel overwhelmed with everything i am reading.
does one of the above burn more calories? since i want to lose weight as well as tone up, which do i want to concentrate on? (yes, i am doing cardio at least 4 days a week)
i know change is not going to happen overnight, but would one give better results than the other? or does it really not matter??
thanks for anyone's input. cathe, can you help me????

carol

okay-is one better than the other?? is it better to alternate upper and lower body exercises or do all upper then all lower?
sometimes i think too much information is not a good thing!! i'm just starting back and feel overwhelmed with everything i am reading.
does one of the above burn more calories? since i want to lose weight as well as tone up, which do i want to concentrate on? (yes, i am doing cardio at least 4 days a week)
i know change is not going to happen overnight, but would one give better results than the other? or does it really not matter??
thanks for anyone's input. cathe, can you help me????

carol

Hi Carol! Don't let all that information confuse you. Doing anything that exerts a good effort, makes you breathe hard, activates muscle fibers, and has your heart beating well beyond a walk in the park is doing something....no matter how you slice that, it is working. So you can't go wrong with those ingredients in the mix. Especially since you mention that you are just starting back. That means your body is not too used to any particular way right now and either of those workout approaches you mentioned will provide an effective challenge.

But just to give you my thoughts regarding wanting to burn more/the most calories per weight training session (if that is your specific goal).....Working all lower body in one session has the advantage for overall calorie burn per workout. This is because the legs are large muscle groups and therefore require so much more blood, so the heart has to beat more to supply new blood to the lower body. This gives them a cardiovascular advantage.

Having said that, I don't think this is always the best way to work out. I think variety is the biggest winner. When you find yourself either bored or not challenged the way you once were, change your routine. That is THE BEST formula to follow for the most effective ongoing results.

So yes, sometimes you can do all upper body and all lower body workouts. Sometimes you can do split workouts (covering a few major muscle groups in each workout). Sometimes you can do total body workouts (covering all of the major muscle groups per workout).

As a total side note...(and this may not even apply to you, but in case it does, or perhaps even applies to another person reading this), if you are doing cardio four days a week, and eating very healthy, it is just as important to be sure that you are mixing up your cardio workouts in the same manner as you mix up your weight workouts. For example lets say a person always does their cardio Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri for a set 30 minutes (and it's always two days of running and two days of stepping). This person's body is so used to this routine that the benefits the routine initially provided are no longer nearly as potent and effective as they once were. The program needs to be changed. This person should now consider, for example, running Monday for 30 minutes, Stepping Wednesday for 45 minutes, Kickboxing Thursday for 60 minutes, and Biking Friday for 45 minutes. By doing so, different muscle fibers are being called upon in different ways for varied durations. The result is greater calorie burn, greater muscle tone, and less bordem.

Good Luck with everything!

I'm at the gym 5 to 6 days a week. I do cardio all days with weight training on 3 to 4 days, and if I'm not eating properly, it just doesn't make a difference :D

As far as weight training, I've done it several different ways - all upper body, all lower body, then combined.

When I'm not eating properly, it doesn't matter what I do or how I do it.

Even the trainers at the gym say that diet/nutrition is 90%. Only 10% is what you do at the gym.

Hope this helps.

OH! I'm so glad I read this post!!! I love Cathe's response, too! It reinforces what I've just decided to do! I've decided that I will do 3 (at least) cardio sessions a week, one all-step, one running and one kickbox or biking. And when/IF I have the energy/motivation/time, the 4th will be whatever strikes me at that time!

Great question too! I agree that sometimes we simply OVERthink things and we get all messed up and confused!

Gayle

Great Plan Gayle!

OH! I'm so glad I read this post!!! I love Cathe's response, too! It reinforces what I've just decided to do! I've decided that I will do 3 (at least) cardio sessions a week, one all-step, one running and one kickbox or biking. And when/IF I have the energy/motivation/time, the 4th will be whatever strikes me at that time!

Great question too! I agree that sometimes we simply OVERthink things and we get all messed up and confused!

Gayle

I got your kickbox quota covered for this Monday Gayle:eek:

I got your kickbox quota covered for this Monday Gayle:eek:

Gayle..as my aching body will atest too...listen to the woman, trust me.

Candlelight yoga for me this evening, that's about all I have in me.

It's a good thing Cathe doesn't charge by the gallon, the way she drains our tanks...:cool:

cathe, thanks for all the great information. i think i do overthink working out and in turn, i get so bogged down that i will skip a day from being overwhelmed! the last part of your answer is interesting especially since everything you read today is walk, walk, walk!! i'm glad to hear other cardio is just as good though since i do kickboxing up to 3 times a week but i guess i better mix it up more.
for now i think i will concentrate on "just doing it"
carol

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.