Do I really NEED a rotation?

Elena7

Hi Cathe and gang! I am proud to say I am back in the saddle again! I started with Cathe this time last year (after my 2nd baby) and FINALLY lost that baby weight. Unfortunately, in Aug. I stopped exercising due to time constraints (2 kids under 5; teaching online; working on my ph.d)...now that the worst is over- I started again two weeks ago. I was depressed about how my body (baby belly and those thighs and butt!) plumped right back out to where it was a year ago! It is amazing how those babies morph your body! I don't ever use the scale- I know when my weight is a problem when I can't button my pants and they are too tight in the thigh! OK- enough boo hoo- I'm back on track w/ a q.
Q. I have been reading so much about everyone's rotation. What happens when you don't use one? I always follow a general rule of weight train 2x's per week and aerobics for at least 30 min. 3 x's per week. Because my schedule is so crazy- I pick what motivates me the most and what I can fit in as far a time goes for that particular week. Is it hurting me in terms of weight loss/muscle gains if I keep mixing up tapes (I have just about every one) every 1-2 weeks?

PS. Cathe- I just wanted to say that I probably would have never started exercising again if it wasn't for you. You personal attention and dedication to the average "Joe" is amazing. You are truly a professional that motivates me to keep going. You also helped me find my athletic niche w/ lifting weights. I never used to think of myself as athletic or strong. I was that tall, skinny girl who was always picked last for gym class! Thank you for all your hard work!

Elena

Hi Elena,
Glad you are "back in the saddle". I don't follow a specific rotation either. I also do what motivates me and what fits in time wise. I don't think Iam the type of person who could stick with a specific routine.

One thing I do try and do is a good mix of cardio: step, kickboxing, running ect.. in one week. And I try and rotate the weight workouts but I don't write it down and say I have to do this workout this day.

This works well for me. And I think Cathe would say do what works for you, too. I know for myself that if it was too structured I wouldn't do it. I have to do what I want that day and what my body says it can do.

Just my 2cents.

Good Luck!

Hi Elena - I do pretty much what you do too - I have a crazy schedule too - I try to get in 2 or 3 weight training and 3 cardio and maybe a stretch and pilates - 5 - 6 times a week. I choose my tapes depending on my time and how my body is feeling at that moment - (i.e. injuries, energy level) - I am new to Cathe so I just have her MIS tape , but plan to get others, but alternate Firm and some JV for weight training and the exercise bike, & aerobic tapes for cardio. As long as you do something and your body is responding than you are doing the right thing - I find if I try to put myself on a rigid schedule and for whatever reason I can't do what was scheduled I blow the whole rotation.

Keep doing what your doing!

Elena:

I too have never followed a specific "rotation". I think it's just the rebellious side of me that doesn't like being told what to do! LOL!

I also go by my energy level and just generally what I'm in the "mood" for that day. I tend to lift weights more often than cardio but that's only my preference as I tend to be a bit on the skinny side and like to lift heavy to be "bulkier".

Bottom line is you have to find what works for YOU...

Terri

Hi, Elena, I follow a rotation but loosely. I make a plan but I adjust it according to what suits me. I get bored if I do the same tapes consecutively for many weeks. Plus things come up. My philosopy is nothing is written in stone! With 2 kids under 5, you are doing great whatever workout you get in!

I noticed some people kinda freak out and think that they absolutely HAVE to follow a rotation. I don't do a rotation, I just decided not to do weight training (especially heavy) 2 days in a row. I like to alternante a day of weights and a day of cardio. What I do sometimes, however, is take 2 tapes like MIS and Cardio Kicks, and use only those for a week or two, and then switch to something else. Keeps me from having to scratch my head every morning and try to figure out which video to do.

Hi Everyone!

I think an advantage of a rotation is to see if something really works for you. In other words, if you train a certain way and get great results, you know it WORKS!! But, that being said, NOTHING will work if you don't do it, so you need to do what works for YOU!! What motivates you is what will keep you coming back for more! JUST DO IT!!;-)

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Hi Elena! Thanks so much for your kind words.

You are fine working out without a rotation. The top priority when exercising is to do at least the minimum requirements and also what motivates you. If after about three months of this, you are not seeing whole-hearted improvements, then determine what it is that you would like to see more of and set up a rotation that works in favor of those goals. Good Luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.