DO I need help

Cathe,

I guess you can call me a fitness fanatic, but I need your honest opinion about a habit of mine. I usually workout to relieve stress and to achieve a very pumped up feeling. I absolutely love sweating when I workout. I think it feels really good! (call me crazy) My normal routine is to go into the garage especially during the mid-late afternoon in the summer when it is nice, hot and humid. Plus the temperature in the garage is normally very hot, put on a sports bra and shorts and work myself till my bra is soaked to the skin, hair is drenched and the sweat is running and dripping all over my body. When I am all done I always feel really great especially when I jump into a nice cold shower afterwards. Is this a health hazard where I can get heat stroke or am I just wierd and no one else does this and find this type of stress relief disgusting?

Stephanie

Not strange at all!

Stephanie, you're not alone in the "I love the heat" department...read my sig! LOL

My close fitness friends know I love that heat and humidity too..they think I'm nuts as well. Nothing makes me happier than being soaking wet and with warm air or sunshine on me. No fans necessary here...and you can keep the air conditioning! I have the most energy and best workouts in that environment.

As far as safe goes..just make sure you're drinking enough water and you're still feeling comfortable..not light headed or dizzy. You want to be sweating when your hot..but when you stop sweating...then you're in trouble.

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/naconfer/images/summervfnut.gif

RE: Not strange at all!

Also, make sure that no cars were started recently so there is no carbon monoxide in the garage. Make sure you drink lots of fluid before and during working and and if you feel dizzy or lightheaded take a break. Before I had kids I use to love to run in the mid-day heat of summer and come back all drenched and sweaty so no I don't think its weird. Now that I have kids I either workout at 6am or 8pm but I definately know the feeling you are after. Just make sure you are safe about it.

I like it Hot

When I do yoga, even in summer, I'll put the space heater on in my home gym. We have had such CRUMMY :-mad weather here in Chicago--no summer whatsoever--that I am waiting and craving heat!! :-cool

RE: I like it Hot

Well why do I live in Arizona??? Any of you want to trade weather with me???? I love it here, but I HATE HEAT!!! I keep my air at 65-70, and at work I have to turn it up (down? ) to 72 or 73 so my co-teacher doesn't freeze!
Wendy

RE: What I know about the dangers....

Hi Stephanie:

According to my AFAA Exercise Standards & Guidelines, hot showers are not recommended after exercise because the heat causes the blood vessels to dilate and since vigorous exercise tend to cause the blood to pool in the extremities, together these two situations cause the heart and brain to receive less blood and the result can be overheating.

Hope that helps!

Tammy
http://www.compassnet.com/ntaylor/tigger.gif

>Hi Stephanie:
>
>According to my AFAA Exercise Standards
>& Guidelines, hot showers are
>not recommended after exercise because
>the heat causes the blood
>vessels to dilate and since
>vigorous exercise tend to cause
>the blood to pool in
>the extremities, together these two
>situations cause the heart and
>brain to receive less blood
>and the result can be
>overheating.
>
>Hope that helps!
>
>Tammy
>http://www.compassnet.com/ntaylor/tigger.gif

Don't worry, I never take a hot shower afterwards, usually what I do since I am already dressed for it is to lay out on my porch and sun bathe for an hour or so and then go inside and take a refreshing cold shower, since in mid-afternoon summer, you even continue sweating when sun bathing. I also never wear a white sports bra, so I don't end up looking like a wet t-shirt contestant. I also drink plenty of water, however I don't like to towel off. Bottom line is that I take careof myself, don't worry remember I consider myself the buff of the fitness buffs!

Stephanie

Hey, Stephanie, as long as you hydrate really well, you go girl. Feeling great is what it's all about. I live in Tucson, AZ where I get up at 5:30 to run so I can tolerate the heat. But it's a dry heat.... Hence, when I visit my mom in Michigan, the humidity kicks my butt.

Me Too!

Hi Stephanie,

I don't feel like I had a good workout unless I drip sweat! Just love that feeling of perspiration running down my arms and back! You are not weird! It is a great experience!!!

Laura

RE: Me Too!

Hi guys!
I don't see anything wrong with your preferences, although I don't share them! For reasons too boring to get into I hate sweat! (Okay, the short version: glasses slip slip sliding away; sensitive skin (hives); too much "representation" in the bra area (extremely uncomfortable); and no A/C therefore no choices!) However, I know I can't have a good workout without sweating, so I have my little tricks to help me cope with it. Can't seem to stop the hives though! Oh well, it's worth it! :)
Ruth

Hi Stephanie,
I had an article I wanted to email you regarding this subject, & I have tried a couple of times but I just keep getting an error message when trying to engage yor email address? Have you changed it, or is it a problem on this site? Anyway, if you want to let me know what it is, I will mail you the article...don't worry it's not a lecture! Just touches on the subject in a helpful way.
Ruth ([email protected])

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.