DILEMMA- does interval training count as weight training?

msbone

intermediate stepper back with another question:

I currently am on a rotation of M.I.S. 3 days/week (mon,wed,fri), and I'm wondering if I can also do an interval(cardio w/light weights (5-8lbs)) on my cardio days (tue,thur) or is that too much weight? I mean technically I barely consider 5-8lbs even being weight when I regularly use 10, 15, 20lb dumbbells and 30lb barbell for M.I.S. so being that I use the heavier weights on my weight training days, am I safe to do the interval training on my cardio days as long as the weight is light? OR should I be doing no weight at all on my off days to ensure complete muscle recovery?
Awaiting your replies before I make a move! Thanks, Anne

RE: Circuit training vs. interval training

Hi, msbone! I think you're confusing interval training with circuit training.

Interval training incorporates bursts of ultra-high-intensity cardiovascular work with lower-range recovery work (say, running for 5 minutes, sprinting for 1 minute, jogging for 1 minute to recover, then running for 5, sprinting for 1, jogging for 1, etc.)

Circuit training utilizes short bouts of strength training with resistance equipment (weights, bands, tubes, etc.) with longer bouts of cardio work; the focus is still primarily cardio, because your heart rate remains elevated through the strength bouts. That sounds more like what you've described and are asking about.

I personally consider circuit training to be more of a cardio workout, and any muscular benefits are more endurance than strength gains. I think you should build at least two sessions per week that focus on strength.

Annette

RE: Circuit training vs. interval training

Hi Annette, and thank you for your quick response. I want to make sure I understand your reply clearly, so to paraphrase what I THINK you were saying to me: "it's okay for me to go ahead with the cardio/light weights video on my cardio days because it's basically more of a cardio workout anyway, especially with the light weight" did I hear you correctly or did I hear what I wanted to hear? (I do that sometimes-smile!) Thanks, Anne

I once asked this in a hard core weight lifting group that I highly respect. They unaminmously told me that one should NOT do this light training on non-lifting days. They said it inhibits recovery and the ability to lift heavy on weight days, which in their opinion was the most important thing. Bear in mind they were mostly big men looking to get bigger.

However, like you I am still very tempted to circuit train and do light weights. It is fun, it breaks up the cardio, it feels good. Wonder what Cathe says... Jeanne

Hi Anne! It truly depends on your goals. If you very seriously want to gain size and strength, then I would think that two cardio circuit workouts within your strength workouts would deplete your muscles of their recovery time. But if you just want general strength along with muscular endurance then yes, go ahead and do it as long as you are not too sore following a strength day (if you are sore to the touch, I would suggest doing cardio without the weights).

When in doubt, give it a try. If you find yourself with one or all of the following, then simply stop. Exhausted, depleted, simply not attaining expected results, and/or losing achieved results. Good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.