Difficulty with Aerobic workout

christip

Hi Cathe,

I had the pleasure of seeing Push Pull last night for the first time.
I love your approach to fitness.

I am 47 years old and 265lbs. I need to start working out, lose weight and get back to myself.

I can handle the weightlifting right now, but the cardio is an issue because I have tarsal tunnel and am trying to avoid surgery. That means no walking or anything that will cause irritation to my left ankle.

Any suggestions as to how I can get my heart rate up? I don't have access to a pool. I do have access to a recumbant bike and an elliptical.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Christi

Hi Christi!

I am obviously not Cathe, but I want to congratulate you on your new dedication to fitness!

Push/Pull is a really great workout and Cathe is a great instructor. I am so glad that Fit TV is reaching new people who can fall in love with Cathe's videos the way so many of us have for years.

I am certainly no expert on what activity you should do, but if it were me, I think I'd use Cathe for weights and the bike and ellptical to begin with. Before beginning anything more than that, I'd consult my physician for advice.

I am sure you will find a lot of support from the people here in the forum!

Contragulations again and best of luck on your journey!

Cheers!

Amy
:)

Hi Amy!

Thanks for answering my question.

I am allowed to use the recumbant bike, so I used that this morning. I also lifted weights for about 30 minutes. I just used 5 lbs, but I'm also just starting out so, I thought it would be best to take it slow and gradual.

Thanks again!

Christi

Hi Christi,

When I started out, I took baby steps. I had to ease myself into cardio. I could only jog for one minute.

Just don't overdo it, weights or cardio wise.

Let your body adjust gradually.

Oh, I definately will.

Right now I'm sticking to the bike to get back into the aerobic routine. Hopefully that will give my foot some more time to heal. I did try the elliptical this morning but it was still a little too painful and my ankle swelled really bad after I did that. So, I'll stay on the bike, lift my lighter weights and work with the stability ball. When it gets warm enough outside, I'll do some water aerobics too, but right now the water is still too cold.

Thanks for the support! I really means a lot to me.

Christi

Also, try to keep eating really, really well. I'm sure that goes without saying, but IMO, eating well helps more to lose weight or maintain weight than exercising.

I'm keeping track of everything I eat at www.my-calorie-counter.com .
I found out my cholesterol is way out of wack. My good is in the 30's and my bad is in the 480's. So, I'm tracking everything I eat and then printing a journal to take to the doctor.

This is a really helpful and welcoming forum!!!

Thanks so much!

Christi

For what it is worth, I think you are already on your way to losing weight and achieving fitness gains.

You are being very cautious about your cardio and that is very important. If I were you, I would follow my physician's advice as much as possible since you have some joint problems.

According to my GYN, exercise and diet are great for controlling cholesterol.

Another she told is is to eat as may whole grains, esp. oatmeal and to take fish oil capsules 3 times per day.

Be careful with fish oil capsules! I had a cholesterol problem last fall and started taking them as instructed. At my 3 month blood test my liver function was WAY out of whack. I just tested again, after 3 more months of healthy eating/exercising but eliminated the fish oil and my liver is ok. It was the only change I made - so just be careful.

Good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.