difference between good sore & bad sore?

msbone

Hi, can someone explain to me the difference between what is "good sore" and what could be "bad sore" as far as both aerobics and weight training.
For instance: if i do MIS with a 35#bb today, then on my next weight training day, increase the #'s to 40# because the 35# wasn't challenging my muscles anymore, I know the soreness I feel in my legs walking up the stairs later that day is from the increased weight and i assume a "good sore"?
can anyone give me a "rule of thumb" on soreness or what to watch out for?
Thanks, as usual, all replies are welcomed, I'm really learning a lot through this forum, Anne

RE: A Total Amateur's Suggestion

Hi, Anne! A good distinction that I use, both in terms of how I feel when I'm executing a movement AND whatever muscle soreness I might feel is: the difference between "Oooh" and "OW!"

"Oooh" is good.

"OW" is bad.

If it's a really sharp, stinging soreness, you may have overtrained in that session, and may need to regroup a little bit.

How's that for a hyper-technical answer?

Annette

I love that answer! THAT~ I can remember easily, and as simplified as it is, makes perfect sense to me! Thanks, Anne

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-25-01 AT 05:43PM (Est)[/font][p]I read this somewhere, and for the life of my I can't remember where. So please don't quote me. I probably shouldn't even say it if I can't back it up.

"Good" muscle soreness can only be felt with movement of that particular muscle. So for instance if your hamstrings hurt while you're going up/down stairs, that's probably okay. "Bad" muscle soreness can still be felt when that muscle is perfectly still, not in use. So if those same hamstrings hurt while you're totally motionless in bed, it might be an injury instead.

Kim

when its a good sore- when you stretch after you get out of bed and u have that nice tight feeling
:D
when its a bad sore-when you stretch after you get out of bed and it hurts to stretch or your bones feel out of place
:(

Good is when you look forward to doing it again. Bad is when you can't believe you'll ever be able to do it again!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.